September 25 2021
One of the most commonly used dietary supplements; fish oil is obtained from the tissues of the fish. Most of the benefits of consuming fish oil are linked to the high omega-3 fatty acid content it possesses. The two types of omega-3 fatty acids present in fish oil are: eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), and the important sources of these include salmon, tuna, herring, and mackerel. The world health organization or WHO recommends having 1 to 2 portions of fish per week, mainly because of the health benefits it has. If you don’t consume fish, taking a dietary supplement can help a lot. Scientists say that the omega-3 fatty acids present in fish oil are better than the omega-3 content found in plant-based foods when it comes to health benefits.
Mechanism of action
The human body can’t produce omega-3 fatty acids on its own. The benefits of fish oil come from the high content of omega-3 fatty acids present in it. Omega-3s decrease inflammation and pain, which is why it has positive effects in eliminating and preventing conditions like dry eyes and psoriasis. Omega-3s are also helpful in the prevention of easy clotting of blood, which is why it is highly recommended for people with heart problems.
About alvizia’s fish oil
Alvizia’s fish oil, or alenfish, is a dietary supplement that comes in different variants- double and triple strengths. It helps fight inflammation, hyperlipidemia, curing cramps during the menstrual cycle, enhancing bone density and structure; enhancing brain functions, skin, and hair.
Alvizia’s salmon fish oil comes in three different variants and is a great source of both DHA and EPA. These omega-3 fatty acids are essential for the overall health of the human body. It supports heart health, lowers cholesterol and triglyceride levels in the blood, enhances brain health and functioning, bone density and joints, and brings a healthy glow to the skin.
Benefits of fish oil
- May help in weight loss: Obesity is a global health problem associated with higher risks of many diseases. A body mass index or BMI that is more than 30 is termed as obesity. Obesity may lead to other health problems like heart diseases, type-II diabetes, loss of bone density, and certain types of cancer. Fish oil is beneficial in improving the composition and risk factors of heart diseases, diabetes, etc. Supplementation of fish oil with a proper diet, exercise, and lifestyle changes can have some promising benefits in weight loss.
- Good for the eyes: for the proper functioning of the eyes, intake of omega-3 fatty acids is highly recommended. Lack of omega-3s in the body is closely linked to eye diseases, research suggests. Eye health should be taken care of, as, it kind of declines as we grow older. Fish oil can prevent conditions like cataracts, AMD (age-related macular degeneration), and other age-related eye problems. However, natural sources of fish oil like tuna, mackerel, and salmon are considered a better option when it comes to the health of the eyes.
- Anti-inflammatory properties: inflammation can be defined as a way by which our immune system fights against the foreign particles that may cause infections. However, inflammation for a longer period is linked to many health conditions like obesity, diabetes, heart diseases, and depression. Fish oil possesses some anti-inflammatory properties that are effective in treating conditions that lead to chronic inflammation. Fish oil supplements help relieve pain in the joints, stiffness, and treat symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis. It may also treat inflammatory bowel disease; however, there isn’t enough research about the same.
- Effective for fatty liver: the main function of the liver is to process fats in the body. Liver diseases are becoming more common these days, possibly due to lifestyle changes. Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease is a disease involving an increased fat build up in the liver, and may also serve as a major risk factor for diabetes and obesity. Omega-3s can improve liver function in people with NAFLD, which is why the intake of fish oil is associated with it. Supplementation of fish oil may reduce the symptoms of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease by reducing the excessive amount of fats present in the liver.
- Heart functions and health: research has found out that people who consume fish oil are at a relatively lower risk of heart diseases. This is mainly because omega-3 fatty acids present in fish oil can decrease the levels of LDL (bad cholesterol) and enhances the production of HDL (good cholesterol), enhancing heart health. It may also maintain a healthy level of triglycerides in the blood, and lower blood pressure in people with hypertension. Fish oil is believed to reduce risk factors of these heart problems; however, it is highly unclear whether it may have the same effects on heart attacks or strokes.
- Good for the skin: skin, being the largest organ of the human body, contains a big amount of omega-3 fatty acids. Fish oil supplementation is linked to the prevention of various skin problems such as dermatitis, aging skin, psoriasis, acne, wrinkles, etc. omega-3 fatty acids are also beneficial in decreasing sun damage from harmful UV rays and prevents the growth of cancer cells caused by the same.
- Good for the bones: problems like osteoporosis and osteoarthritis are linked to low bone density and lack of minerals in them. Other than vitamin D and calcium, omega-3 fatty acids are also beneficial to maintain a healthy bone structure and density. Research suggests that people who consume omega-3s have a better bone mineral density as compared to those who don’t. Many research studies have concluded that intake of fish oil, either from natural sources or supplementation is closely linked to the prevention of many bone diseases and breakdown.
- Mental health: fish oil has some positive effects that may enhance the mental health of a person. Omega-3 fatty acids are closely linked to the prevention of health conditions like depression. People with major depression conditions usually have lower amounts of omega-3s in the body. Research suggests that EPA and DHA, the main components of fish oil, help in reducing symptoms of depression (EPA is more effective than DHA).