September 20 2021
A natural mineral supplement that is made up of Zinc, magnesium aspartate, and vitamin B6, ZMA is beneficial as it supports immune functions and muscular health. It is popularly used by athletes and bodybuilders. These nutrients (zinc, magnesium aspartate, and vitamin B6) are considered beneficial in building up muscular strength as well as stamina, enhancing recovery of muscles, and also, improving quality of sleep.
The components of the ZMA supplement are:
- Vitamin B6: approximately 10 to 11 mg.
- Magnesium aspartate: approximately 450 mg
- Zinc monomethionine: approx 3 mg.
These quantities might not be the same for all the manufacturers; however, in most of the supplements, these quantities are the same. They may also add some additional vitamins and minerals too. Intake of these nutrients is associated with higher levels of testosterone, enhanced exercise recovery, enhanced muscular strength, and improved immunity.
Benefits of ZMA supplementation
- Immune function: Zinc, magnesium, and vitamin B6 play vital roles in enhancing the immune functions of our body. Zinc is an essential micronutrient that promotes the development as well as the functioning of immune cells. Supplementation of zinc may help in reducing the risks of certain infections and aiding the healing of wounds. Similarly, vitamin B6 is associated with improved immunity in human beings. Our body has certain requirements, out of which vitamin B6 is also important. It is needed for the production of white blood cells that fight off bacteria. This vitamin is known to improve the ability of a person to combat infections and inflammation. Magnesium may reduce markers of inflammation, which are C- reactive protein and interleukin 6. The deficiency of this micronutrient is closely linked to chronic inflammation which may lead to certain health problems.
- Controlling blood sugar levels: Zinc and magnesium have shown some positive effects in controlling blood sugar levels (in people who have diabetes). An analysis of 25 research studies with more than 1300 people (who had diabetes) depicted that taking a ZMA supplement successfully decreased fasting levels of blood sugar, hemoglobin A1c or HbA1c as well as post-meal blood sugar levels. Supplementation of zinc has shown some positive effects in lowering HbA1c, which is a marker that may indicate long term diabetic conditions. Magnesium may also help in maintaining or controlling levels of blood sugar in diabetic people as it improves the body’s ability to use up insulin (the hormone that decreases blood sugar levels). It has proved to be more effective than a placebo, in reducing blood sugar levels.
- Mood elevation: ZMA supplementation may help in elevating your mood, which is mainly because of vitamin B6 and magnesium. One research study which was carried out with 23 people depicted the benefits of ZMA supplementation in decreasing symptoms of depression, by acting as an anti-depressant agent. Another large study carried out with 8900 adults, showed that people who had a lower intake of magnesium had 22 percent higher chances of depression as compared to people who had a higher intake.
- Weight loss: vitamin and mineral content of ZMA supplements may help in weight loss. Zinc may help in losing weight by suppressing appetite. On the other hand, magnesium and vitamin B6 can reduce bloating and water retention in women who have PMS (premenstrual syndrome). A one-month study which was carried out with 60 people who had obesity, has depicted that taking at least 30 mg of zinc regularly may aid weight loss. Also, some studies suggest that deficiency of zinc may lead to obesity. Ensuring a sufficient amount of dietary intake of zinc, magnesium, and vitamin B6 are beneficial for the overall health of an individual.
- Improves the quality of sleep: The powerful and beneficial combination of zinc and magnesium is good at enhancing the quality of sleep. Many research studies have suggested that magnesium may help in activating the parasympathetic nervous system, which helps the body by making it feel calm, relaxed, and composed. Supplements of zinc may also help in improving the quality of sleep in many animals as well as human studies. A study which was carried out with 43 people who had insomnia, showed that taking a combination of zinc and magnesium with melatonin may help people in sleeping faster with improved quality of sleep.
- Athletic performance: ZMA supplementation is considered good for enhancing athletic performance and muscular strength. It may also enhance the factors in people who are deficient in zinc and magnesium. Deficiency of any of these nutrients may reduce the levels of testosterone, which may affect muscle mass and insulin growth factor (IGF-1) which is a hormone affecting cell growth and recovery. Athletes who have lower levels of zinc and magnesium may also have slowed down performances in the ground. Low levels of zinc and magnesium are mostly caused by strict diets or excessive urination/ sweating. A research study was carried out for 8 long weeks, with 27 football players. They were given a ZMA supplement, regularly, and, at the end of this study, they experienced better muscular strength, enhanced testosterone and IGF-1 levels. However, the results aren’t necessarily the same with everyone, other studies suggest. Both zinc and magnesium are considered beneficial in reducing muscular fatigue and raising levels of testosterone and it also prevents health conditions that arise due to testosterone deficiency. However, the researchers suggest that more studies are needed to conclude this benefit of ZMA supplementation.
Side effects and safety of ZMA
ZMA supplements are mostly safe when taken orally. However, there might be some health concerns if it is not taken in adequate (recommended) amounts. They shouldn’t be even taken frequently, the directions of the manufacturer or a dietician must be followed. Very high levels of zinc and magnesium may lead to nausea, diarrhea, cramps, etc. It may also lower immunity if taken in very large quantities, in some cases.
About alvizia’s ZMA supplement
Alvizia’s ZMA is a dietary supplement. One bottle of this supplement contains 90 soft gelatin capsules; it consists of Zinc, Magnesium, and Vitamin B6 and is available in a pack of 90 soft gelatin capsules. It functions as an aid for nighttime recovery, testosterone booster, and elevates the energy levels of the body.