March 16 2021
Green Tea is one of the most commonly consumed teas by the people. It is derived from the leaves of camellia Sinensis, it is a plant from which green, black, and oolong teas are made.
Green tea extract is the concentrated form of green tea containing the same amount of active ingredients like green tea. The active ingredients found in green tea extract are polyphenols in the form of flavonoids like catechins and epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG). EGCG in green tea is up to 100 times more powerful than the antioxidant activity of vitamin C or E.
Alvizia's green tea extract is a great source of antioxidants. It is highly beneficial in improving cardiovascular circulation by reducing LDL and also helps in improving the oxidation of fat. It has numerous benefits.
Benefits of Green Tea Extract
High in Antioxidants
- Antioxidants are known for reducing oxidative stress by fighting cell damage that is caused by free radicals. This cell damage is associated with ageing and causes several diseases. Hence, antioxidants are highly useful.
- Polyphenol antioxidants are termed as catechins and composed of the majority of green tea extract's antioxidant content. Among the catechins in green tea, EGCG or epigallocatechin gallate is the most researched and is known for providing the most health benefits.
- Few pieces of study have shown that green tea extract helps in increasing the antioxidant capacity of the body and protects against oxidative stress m
- Green tea boosts antioxidant capacity, which is useful in preventing various health problems caused by oxidative stress.
Promotes heart health
- Oxidative stress increases the buildup of fat in the blood, which promotes inflammation in the arteries and leads to high blood pressure. The antioxidants present in green tea helps in decreasing inflammation and reduces blood pressure. They can also inhibit fat absorption in cells, and thus helps in reducing blood fat levels.
- One study has shown that there has been a significant decrease in blood pressure as compared to the placebo group when taken 379 mg of green tea extract daily for 3 months. Also, a significant reduction in blood fat levels including triglycerides and LDL cholesterol has been found.
- Since high blood pressure and high blood fat levels are the major risk factors for heart diseases, thus regulating them can promote heart health.
Helps in reducing weight loss
- Green tea extract has a high amount of catechins and contains a decent amount of caffeine. Catechins and caffeine are both responsible for weight loss by regulating the hormones that help in enhancing thermogenesis. Thus, green tea extract is highly effective in reducing weight loss.
- Studies have shown that green tea helps in boosting the thermogenesis process by making the body highly effective in burning calories which gradually leads to weight loss. Thermogenesis is the process by which our body burns the calories to digest the food and produces heat.
- One study has shown that 10 healthy men burned 4% more calories during the 24 hours after the intake of green tea extract capsule that contained 50 mg of caffeine and 90 mg. Of EGCG.
Protects the brain cells
- The antioxidants present in green tea extract, mainly EGCG, has been shown to protect brain cells from oxidative stress. This protection of brain cells reduces brain damage that could lead to mental decline and brain diseases like Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, and dementia.
- Green tea extract also helps in decreasing the action of heavy metals like iron and copper. These heavy metals can cause damage to brain cells.
- It also helps in increasing memory by enhancing the connection between different parts of the brain.
- Studies have shown that green tea extract improves task performance more compared to the placebo group.
Beneficial for the skin
- Consuming green tea supplements, there has been shown improvement in skin health.
- A large review has demonstrated that green tea extract helps in treating several kinds of skin problems, such as rosacea, dermatitis, and warts. It is also very effective for skin ageing and acne.
- One study has shown that there has been a significant reduction in red skin bumps caused by acne when 1,500 mg of green tea extract has been consumed.
- Green tea extract also seems to help in preventing skin conditions such as loss of skin elasticity, inflammation, premature ageing, and exposure of Ultraviolet Rays.
Helps in exercise performance and recovery
- Green tea extract is beneficial in Exeter and helps improve exercise performance or enhance recovery.
- Antioxidants present in green tea catechins help in reducing cellular damage and delay muscle fatigue.
- A study of 35 men had shown that green tea extract combined with strength training for four weeks enhanced the body's antioxidant protection.
- Another study has shown that 16 sprinters who consumed green tea extract for four weeks demonstrated increased protection against oxidative stress that is produced by spring bouts.
Helps in lowering blood sugar level
- The catechins that are present in green tea, mainly EGCG, are highly effective in enhancing insulin sensitivity and in regulating the blood sugar level.
- A study has shown that green tea extract played a vital role in improving insulin sensitivity in healthy young men by 13%.
Dosage of green tea extract
250-390 mg per day is the recommended dosage of green tea extract.
Side effects of green tea extract
Green tea can cause a few side effects due to the presence of caffeine in it. These side effects can include nausea, tremors, and sleeping problems. It may cause liver problems also. Symptoms include yellowish skin, whitening of eyes, nausea, and stomach pain too. Though side effects are less common, it is recommended to stop the usage of it if you find any of these side effects.