March 18 2021
L-carnitine is a chemical compound that is quite similar to amino acids produced in the human body. It is taken orally, as a supplement by people whose natural levels of the same are low. It is also used to treat certain heart conditions, blood vessels, overactive thyroid, infertility, and kidney disease. L-carnitine facilitates the burning of fat and converts it to energy (transfer of fatty acids into the cells’ mitochondria). The human body can convert L-carnitine to acetyl L-carnitine and propionyl-L-carnitine. To produce adequate amounts of L-carnitine, our body also needs to have large amounts of vitamin C. there are different types of carnitine- D-carnitine, acetyl L-carnitine, propionyl-L-carnitine, and L-carnitine L-tartrate.
Acetyl-l-carnitine and propionyl-l-carnitine are the most effective ones. Acetyl-L-carnitine is good for the functioning of the brain and propionyl-l-carnitine has positive effects on the circulatory system and facilitates blood flow. It can also enhance the production of nitric oxide which is an essential component required for proper blood flow. L-carnitine L-tartrate is given to sportspersons, in the form of supplements as it may aid muscle soreness and recovery from injuries. D-carnitine is an inactive form of carnitine, which may also cause deficiency of the other forms (active) of carnitine. So, one must always choose the type depending on the body requirements, on the advice of a dietician.
What does L-carnitine do in the body?
The main function of L-carnitine is facilitating the functions of mitochondria and the production of energy. At the cellular level, it transports the fatty acids to the mitochondria which are burned to obtain energy. Due to the increase in mitochondrial functions by L-carnitine, it plays a major role in disease and healthy aging. More than 95 percent of L-carnitine is stored in the muscles and some small amounts in the liver and blood. Some research indicates that L-carnitine might also aid heart and brain diseases.
Benefits of L-carnitine
- Aids weight loss: since l-carnitine is responsible for the transportation of fatty acids to the cells which is burned for energy uses, it might help in enhancing the “fat-burning” process and may aid in weight loss with exercising. One research study found out that it might be effective in reducing the weight of people who are obese. However, experts suggest that the results are mixed and more research is needed. It helps in maintaining a healthy level of overall cognitive ability and also enhances the metabolism of fats.
- Heart health: one of the benefits of L-carnitine is that it improves many heart diseases and conditions, such as coronary heart disease and risks of other heart diseases. A research study that was carried out to know the benefits of L-carnitine in heart health, suggested that it reduces risks of heart failure and death in people who take supplementation of L-carnitine. It also has the potential to reduce blood pressure and inflammation in the body.
- Reduce chances of type-2 diabetes: L-carnitine can reduce symptoms and other induced health issues of type-II diabetes. Some studies have demonstrated that taking L-carnitine supplements might decrease blood sugar levels. It may also combat type-II diabetes by improving the body’s ability to use carbohydrates, which is facilitated by the release of an enzyme, AMPK.
- Enhances brain functions: acetyl-L-carnitine or ALCAR may prevent mental decline and other illness (age-related) and also improve markers of learning, some animal studies suggest. Many human diseases have suggested that taking ALCAR may reverse the decline in brain functioning and improve it associated with Alzheimer’s and other age-related brain diseases. In some cases, L-carnitine (ALCAR) can also reduce the risks of cell damage in the brain.
- Enhances physical activity: L-carnitine has several benefits that can enhance your sports performance. It may benefit in recovery from exercise-related pain and muscle soreness, may also enhance stamina, boost up red blood cell production which can, in turn, increase the supply of oxygen to the muscles of the body.
- Serious kidney diseases: because L-carnitine enhances the production of red blood cells in the body, it might help in hemodialysis with the same function. FDA has approved L-carnitine supplements for treating and preventing L-carnitine deficiency in people who suffer from serious kidney diseases and/or are on hemodialysis. It is given either orally or intravenously. It might also eliminate the risks of anemia and inflammation in patients with serious kidney disease.
- Hyperthyroidism: hypothyroidism is a condition in which the activity of the thyroid gland increases more than the required levels. Taking L-carnitine supplements might help in reducing some symptoms of hyperthyroidism, such as nervousness, rapid heartbeat, and fatigue or weakness.
- Other potential benefits: other than these benefits, L-carnitine might also function well in improving symptoms of inflammation or swelling, infertility, tiredness or fatigue, androgenic alopecia. Due to its positive effects on heart health, L-carnitine might also improve irregular heartbeat, angina (chest pain), congestive heart failure, and coronary heart disease. One more potential benefit of L-carnitine is the reduction in inflammation of the liver by hepatitis B virus. Other health and skin issues like acne, alopecia, tiredness, and fatigue, might also be treated by taking l-carnitine supplementation. It has also been told to be helpful in people with infertility issues (both men and women).
Side effects of L-carnitine
If taken orally, L-carnitine is safe in most cases. However, it might cause side effects like nausea, heartburn, vomiting, diarrhea, seizures in some very rare cases. It is recommended to avoid the usage of D-carnitine and DL-carnitine because both of these components might inhibit the absorption of other essential forms of carnitine causing deficiency of the same.
It should not be used by children and women who are pregnant or are breastfeeding, as there is not enough reliable information about the same.
About Alvizia’s L-carnitine
Available in a pack of 90 tablets, l-carnitine supplement by Alvizia Healthcare is a one-stop solution for improving brain functions, helping in weight loss, treating fatigue and tiredness, and provides a daily dose of energy keeping you alert and active all day. It contains 500 mg L-carnitine per serving (one tablet).
Note: it should be kept out of the reach of children and shouldn’t be used for the treatment and prevention of any disease. For better usage, keep it in a cool and dry place to protect it from direct sunlight or moisture.