August 12 2021
Supplementing with multivitamins has become extremely popular worldwide and their benefits are increasingly being recognized in the past few decades. The main reason for using multivitamins include an improvement in health, compensation for imbalanced and improper eating habits and they are also responsible for decreasing the risk of chronic diseases. Vitamins are mainly recognized as the main building blocks of the body and help in maintaining good health thus prove beneficial in a large number of health conditions.
What are multivitamins?
Multivitamins are supplements that mainly contain many combinations of different vitamins and minerals which are essential for the proper growth and development of the body. The nutrient components of a multivitamin vary according to the condition it is manufactured for. The other names of multivitamins are multimineral, multiplies, or vitamins which are produced in many forms such as tablets, capsules, chewable gummies, powders, and liquids. These multivitamins supplements should be taken once or twice a day as prescribed by the manufacturer and the instructions on the label and the recommended dosage should be strictly adhered to one daily multivitamin capsule provides the necessary vitamins and minerals needed for the body in adequate amounts.
Multivitamins are available in supermarkets, pharmacies, stores, and online too. Multivitamins are mainly used to treat or stop vitamin deficiency as a result of poor diet, certain health conditions, or during pregnancy.
What do multivitamins contain?
Our body needs 13 types of vitamins and 16 types of minerals for maintaining a healthy life. Many of these vitamins and minerals help in catalyzing different types of enzymatic reactions in the body or regulating various body functions by acting as signaling molecules or structural elements. Vitamins and minerals are needed by the body in metabolic reactions such as reproduction, maintenance, growth, and regulation of various body processes. These essential vitamins and minerals can be supplemented by multivitamins in varying amounts and forms. The other ingredients present in multivitamin supplements such as herbs, amino acids, and fatty acids. Some of the important components of multivitamins are:
Vitamin A - It is also known as retinol which is a potent antioxidant involved in the maintenance of good skin, strengths the immune system, and boosts vision especially in low light.
Vitamin B complex - The eight vitamins under vitamin B help in the process of conversion of food into fuel and improves concentration and memory.
Vitamin C - This vitamin is essential for maintaining the health of the joints and it also helps in wound healing and in preventing cold.
Vitamin D - It is essential for maintaining bone density as it regulates the amounts of calcium and phosphorus present in the body. It is important for regulating the nervous and the immune system.
Vitamin E - This protects the cells from oxidative damage caused by free radicals and plays an important role in healthy vision, skin, and immune system.
Reasons to take multivitamins:
Many bodily functions can be supplemented with multivitamins. They are:
- As age advances, the nutritional needs of the body also increases. At the same time, it gets more difficult for the body to absorb these nutrients and derive maximum use from them. Ingestion of medications can lead to further depletion of nutrients in the body. In such conditions, multivitamins can offset these deficiencies.
- Studies show that multivitamins supplements are good for the heart. Research shows that the intake of high-quality multivitamin daily may reduce the risk of developing cardiovascular disease which is the leading cause of death in men and women. Vitamins such as B1, B2, B6, K1, Niacin(B3), CoQ10, and magnesium play an important role in cardiovascular health.
- Multivitamins are known to boost immunity. Vitamin C is a potent antioxidant whose main mechanism of action is in strengthening the immune system. Vitamins E and D also enhance immunity and they also help in reducing the symptoms of allergy.
- Vitamins such as A, C, E, niacin, and selenium help in maintaining proper eye health. Lutein and zeaxanthin also play an important role in protecting the eyes from harmful light waves. Multivitamins with combinations such as vitamins, lutein, and zeaxanthin also promote eye health by reducing the risk of macular degeneration.
- Fat-soluble vitamins such as vitamin A, D, E, and K are stored in the body whereas water-soluble vitamins such as vitamin B and C are not absorbed in the body. The water-soluble vitamins which are excess travel through the body and get eliminated in various forms. It is essential to take these vitamins daily according to the prescribed dosage.
- Multivitamin supplements are widely used for maintaining healthy hair and skin. Vitamins such as vitamins B3( niacin), biotin, and vitamin C are best suited for fuller hair. For skin benefits, vitamins A, C, E, and CoQ10 are recommended.
- Intake of multivitamins enhances the overall well being felt by the body. Ingestion of multivitamins is related to an increase in energy levels, decrease in stress, and anxiety. So it is extremely beneficial to follow a fixed routine while taking multivitamins.
Benefits of daily intake of multivitamins
- When there is a shortage of vitamins in the body, even simple tasks have to be performed with more effort and energy which can lead to faster fatigue and other associated health conditions. Thus intake of multivitamins along with adequate exercise and maintaining a healthy lifestyle keeps a person fit and energetic.
- Studies show that regular intake of multivitamins often has a boosting effect on a person’s mood thereby promoting the feeling of emotional well-being. Thus maintaining adequate amounts of vitamins and minerals in the body leads to an improvement in the brain functions which in turn alleviates the mood.
- Daily consumption of multivitamins also results in significantly reducing the levels of stress and anxiety in the body. For example, the presence of vitamin B is responsible for the body’s conversion of food into energy and also for maintaining the functioning of the nervous system as well for the production of stress hormones. These multivitamin supplements can also replenish the body’s required supply of vitamins and minerals.
- Research shows the intake of vitamin B has a positive impact by improving short term memory function.
- Regular intake of multivitamins helps in antagonizing the action of the damaging free radicals in check. Free radicals are known to cause age-related muscle problems in the body.
- Some studies show that multivitamin supplements play an important role in preventing heart disease which is the leading cause of death worldwide.