September 16 2021
Erectile dysfunction is a health condition in which the affected person is unable to get or keep an erection which affects sexual performance. Erectile dysfunction is a very common health issue faced by men, particularly in aged men. Frequently facing problems like these may be an indication of other medical conditions that need treatment.
Erections happen as a result of increased blood flow in the penis, which is mainly stimulated by psychological influence or direct contact. In certain circumstances, muscular relaxation is seen in the penis, which allows the blood to flow through the arteries that fill two chambers inside it. As these chambers fill with blood, an erection is seen. It ends when the muscles contract and the blood flows out, through veins.
Symptoms of erectile dysfunction
The common symptoms of erectile dysfunction include problems in getting an erection, reduced interest in intercourse, and facing difficulty in maintaining an erection for a longer period. Premature ejaculation delayed ejaculation, and anorgasmia is some other conditions that are related to erectile dysfunction. It is advised to speak to a doctor if these symptoms persist for a longer period, as, it is important to know whether any other health problems are causing erectile dysfunction and may require treatment.
Causes of erectile dysfunction
Many physical and emotional factors are there which cause erectile dysfunction, like diabetes, hypertension, obesity, cardiovascular disease, kidney disease, stress, anxiety, depression, aging, low levels of testosterone, damaged pelvic area due to surgery, certain drugs or medications, too much consumption of tobacco and alcohol, sleep disorders, certain diseases like Parkinson’s, Peyronie’s disease, etc. This health condition in men may be caused by any of these, which is why it is important to see a doctor to know the cause, which will make it easier to treat the problem efficiently.
Risk factors and complications of ED
Risk factors, which may contribute to this health condition, include:
- Injuries in or around nerves or arteries that perform the function of controlling erections.
- Medications such as antidepressants, antihistaminic drugs, analgesics, and antihypertensive drugs.
- Psychological health conditions such as anxiety, depression, and stress.
- Long term consumption of tobacco, drugs, and alcohol may put you at a higher risk of erectile dysfunction.
- Diabetes and heart disease may restrict blood flow, causing erectile dysfunction.
- Medical treatments like prostate surgery or radiation therapy.
If left untreated, it may result in stress, anxiety, and other psychological and other health conditions.
About Alvizia’s horny goat weed and maca extract
Alenup, or alvizia’s horny goat weed and maca extract, is a supplement available in a pack of 30 soft gelatin capsules with a composition of 500 mg horny goat weed extract and 75 mg maca extract. It is used to enhance sexual performance as a testosterone booster and also enhances your energy levels. A credible as well as a reliable natural supplement, it is known for improving stamina and sexual desire or libido.
Both of the Alenup’s components- horny goat weed and maca root are known to work as adaptogens, which help the body in dealing with all kinds of stress. It is used for reviving performance, increasing the production of testosterone, stimulation of sexual drive, enhancing blood flow, and treating erectile dysfunction.
Foods that prevent erectile dysfunction
- Spinach: spinach contains large amounts of folate, which is a mineral that enhances the flow of blood. Folic acid deficiency is associated with erectile dysfunction, as it plays a major role in boosting up the flow of blood. One cup of cooked spinach contains around three fourth of the daily requirements of folic acid. It is also a rich source of magnesium, which is also responsible for enhanced blood flow and testosterone levels in males.
- Apples: apples are considered as one of the superfoods that enhance the overall health of a person. It is also related to penile health. Peels of apples contain ursolic acid, which has shown some great positive effects in preventing the growth of prostate cancer cells, research suggests.
- Avocados: avocados are an outstanding source of potassium, fats, and vitamins. Vitamin E and zinc are the main components found in great quantities in this fruit, which enhance the fertility and penile health of the person. Consumption of zinc has been associated with enhanced levels of testosterone whereas vitamin E is linked to improved quality and count of sperm.
- Carrots: this superfood is considered beneficial in men’s health, as, it contains certain chemicals called carotenoids which are responsible for the properties it possesses. It improves sperm motility and sperm count, research suggests.
- Oatmeal: oats contain the amino acid L-arginine, which has shown some great positive effects in treating erectile dysfunction, as, it helps the blood vessels of the penis to relax which makes it easier for the person to get and maintain an erection.
- Tomatoes: Tomatoes contain lycopene, which is a red-colored carotenoid hydrocarbon present in tomatoes and possesses a powerful antioxidant property. Research has shown that foods rich in lycopene help prevent prostate cancer. Tomatoes have also been associated with better male fertility and sperm quality (they promote improvements in motility and morphology of sperms).
- Coffee: having 2 to 3 cups of coffee regularly as the morning drink may prevent erectile dysfunction, research suggests. This benefit of coffee is attributed to the main component caffeine, which is found in teas and coffee. It has shown positive effects in enhancing the blood flow by relaxing the arteries and muscles of the penis, hence improving erectile dysfunction.
- Nuts: walnuts contain a large amount of L-arginine, vitamin E, folic acid, and fiber. If consumed in moderate quantities, they contribute to improving conditions like erectile dysfunction by improving the flow of blood in the arteries of the penis.
- Salmon: omega-3 fatty acids, which are present in salmon, have shown to make the blood less sticky which makes it easier to flow through the blood vessels. Consuming fatty fish like tuna, salmon, sardines may help in preventing erectile dysfunction.