February 02 2021
What is hangover?
A hangover refers to symptoms that result from drinking alcohol, usually the next day. Drinking alcohol causes a hangover for a number of reasons, including dehydration, electrolyte imbalances, poor sleep, and inflammation.
What causes hangover?
Hangovers are caused by drinking too much alcohol. A single alcoholic drink is enough to trigger a hangover for some people, while others may drink heavily and escape a hangover entirely.
Few symptoms of hangover:
Dehydration and excessive thirst
Excessive sweating or clamminess
How long does the effects last?
Hangovers can last up to 72 hours after drinking, but most are shorter in duration. Again it depends on how much was consumed, how dehydrated you became, nutritional status, ethnicity, gender, the state of your liver, medications, etc.
Some of the basic home remedies to help get some relieve from the symptoms of a hangover:
1. Rehydrate: Alcohol dehydrates you, which is one of the reasons you get a hangover in the first place, so make sure to chug a glass of water before you go to bed.
2. Eat a healthy meal with protein and complex carbohydrates
3. Replenish electrolytes by drinking kefir, drinking coconut water or eating fresh watermelon
4. Take a nap
5. Take a walk or go to the gym
6. Increase antioxidants: Double up on antioxidants before a night out drinking
7. Don't Forget to Eat Before Your Drink!
8. Have magnesium before bed: Magnesium helps the body break down alcohol and eliminate it from your body
9. Drink Ginger Tea: Ginger helps with the digestion of alcohol and helps settle your stomach.
Take B & C Vitamins– Alcohol is a diuretic, so you lose a lot of vitamins and nutrients while you are drinking. The most important of which are vitamins B and C. You can also check out Alvizia's natural extracts and vitamins capsules before you start with that first drink to help relieve you from a headache and prevent you from getting a bad hangover.
10. Have eggs in breakfast: Eating eggs for breakfast may just help your body release the after-effects of the alcohol that lurk in your system
11. Complex Carbohydrates. As drinking alcohol lowers blood sugar in many people, boosting energy with healthy carbs may help to relieve hangover symptoms. Sweet potatoes are a perfect choice.