May 03 2021
A brain detox is also known as brain cleansing, is the process that helps in protecting against the onset of neurodegenerative disorders and reduces the symptoms that are associated with poor brain function. Brain cleansing is usually done to facilitate the management of various symptoms such as Fatigue, Brain fog, Anxiety, Depression, Memory loss, brain injury, and stroke. The steps involved in brain detox include Prioritizing sleep, taking supplements that are effective in supporting and enhancing brain function, an anti-inflammatory diet, regular exercising, and intermittent fasting as required.
How to Detox Your Brain
The following are the various steps that can be done for detoxing the brain:
Getting Enough Sleep
Getting the required amount of sleep each night is one of the best ways to support the natural detoxification process of the brain. Getting sleep of about seven to nine hours per night is recommended to enable the brain to operate at its best. Some of the techniques which can be applied to get the best sleep you can:
- Going to bed and waking up at around the same time every day even on holidays. This method helps in regulating the body’s circadian rhythm, which in turn optimizes energy flow, motivation, and appetite regulation in the body
- Sleeping in a dark room away from harsh lights
- Trying to minimize noise which in turn causes sleep disturbances
- Reading relaxing literature can effectively calm the mind
- Establishing a bedtime routine that includes various activities such as taking a warm shower, stretching, and drinking warm milk
- Exercising during the day helps in getting better sleep at night
- Spending time outdoors each day in the sun and nature. This ensures various health benefits such as boosting vitamin D levels as well as relaxing and controlling stress
- Taking supplements that enable proper sleep cycles, such as melatonin and 5HTP. Consumption of various herbs such as valerian root, kava, and ashwagandha also helps in attaining a normal sleep pattern
As the health of the gut and the brain are interconnected, taking a balanced diet plays a pivotal role in managing the cognitive health of the body. Some of the triggers of inflammation include Gut-related and intestinal problems, such as leaky gut syndrome. These conditions can affect the optimal functioning of various organs mainly the brain. The presence of such disorders can also lead to various associated symptoms like depression, fatigue, anxiety, and lack of concentration and focus.
By ensuring that the brain gets a steady supply of essential nutrients such as proteins, healthy fats, antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids, and other necessary vitamins and minerals to maintain the overall health of the body. The inclusion of these “brain foods” in the diet is effective in fighting the damage caused by free radicals and boost the body’s immune response to the pathogens. Consumption of vegetables, such as leafy greens, beets, broccoli, bell peppers, carrots, and fruits having rich content of compounds like bioflavonoids, carotenes, polyphenols, thiols, anthocyanins, and other vitamins and minerals help in fighting against free radical damage. Important brain-boosting foods include:
- Fresh fruits, including berries, oranges.
- Herbs and spices like ginger, turmeric, and garlic.
- Fermented, probiotic foods like yoghurt, kefir, kimchi and sauerkraut
- Nuts and seeds
- Legumes and beans
- Complex carbs like whole grains and sweet potatoes
- Grass-fed meats
- Wild-caught fish like salmon, sardines, and mackerel
- Pastured poultry and free-range eggs.
- Foods having good amounts of copper, vitamin C and manganese, are also important for carrying out various body functions such as detoxification
- Intake of citrus fruits, berries, leafy greens, mushrooms, organ meats, spirulina, and algae
- Healthy fats like avocados, olive oil, and coconut oil
Eat an Anti-Inflammatory Diet
While it is important to include lots of foods with anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and anti-carcinogenic effects, it is also crucial to avoid foods that can increase the risk of developing inflammation, autoimmune reactions, and oxidative stress. Such foods include processed meats, trans fats, excessive sugar, and highly processed foods. Some of the foods that may be avoided to prevent aggravation of inflammation include - Large and heavy meals close to bedtime, Spicy and acidic foods such as citrus fruits, vinegar, and peppers, Caffeine from coffee, and chocolate, Alcohol, and Mint.
Studies show that regular physical exercise is effective in increasing glymphatic activity. It also plays an important role in learning and memory. exercising can be a useful method for coping with stress, sleeping well, and increasing energy reserves in the body.
- Intermittent Fasting
Fasting is effective as it helps in protecting the brain against the onset of various neurological diseases. Fasting has an influencing effect on proteins that are responsible for brain aging. It also acts by decreasing oxidative stress and inflammation levels in the body. Studies show that fasting is beneficial as it helps in boosting memory, alertness, and learning. It can also improve physical endurance and energy.
- Incorporating interval eating patterns into the meal plans allows the body to take a break from digestive duties. This method also helps in diverting the energy from the gastrointestinal tract to the organs that are necessary for various detoxification pathways
- Minimising the exposure to Toxins
For carrying out brain detox effectively, it is essential to reduce exposure to various toxins which can be achieved by avoiding smoking, drugs, and medications that cause harmful side effects in the body.
- Consider using Supplements
The natural ability of the body to undergo detox from time to time can be supplemented by taking certain nootropics, adaptogenic herbs, and other supplements. These supplements are effective in nourishing the various body organs such as the liver, kidneys, gut, and brain. Some of the most commonly used supplements for achieving brain detox include:
- Milk thistle for liver support. Alvizia milk thistle supplements are effective during the process of liver detox.
- Medicinal mushrooms for general immune support
- NAD+ for mitochondrial support
- L-glutamine for gastrointestinal support
- Vitamin C for antioxidant support
- Green tea extract for boosting energy and antioxidant effects like Alvizia green tea extract supplements.
- Probiotics for gut support and maintaining a healthy microbiome.
- Maintaining good hydration is essential for proper detoxification. Achieving a proper fluid balance in the body helps in keeping the blood and lymph moving through the kidneys for better elimination through the process of urination.