March 13 2021
Evening primrose oil is extracted from evening primrose plants or EPO, native to North and South America, some parts of Asia, and Europe. Evening primrose plant has yellow flowers which open up at sunset and close in the evening. Its scientific name is Oenothera Biennis.
Alvizia's evening primrose oil soft gel capsules are very beneficial for health. This supplement is useful for PMS-premenstrual syndrome, arthritis, signs of menopause, swelling, and different conditions. Evening primrose oil is a good supplier of important fatty acids in foods. In the manufacturing sector, evening primrose oil is utilized in soaps and cosmetics.
The reason evening primrose oil is so healthy is that it has a high concentration of Omega-6 fatty acids containing gamma-linolenic acid.
Evening primrose oil was primarily used by native Americans for wound healing because of its soothing properties. Cherokee Indians used hemorrhoids, and Iroquois used as an ointment for the skin.
How it works
As you are aware evening primrose oil contains fatty acids. Some women with breast ache are deficient in fatty acids. Fatty acids appear to assist with decreasing inflammation regarding eczema and inflammatory diseases.
You will be amazed to see how beneficial evening primrose oil can be for your health.
Some of the major benefits of evening primrose oil are mentioned below.
Benefits of evening primrose oil
Helps in treating eczema
- Evening primrose oil is effective in the treatment of eczema-atopic dermatitis which is an inflammatory skin condition.
- GLA present in evening primrose oil improves the skin's epidermis.
- According to some studies, applying a cream containing evening primrose oil for a week or two improves eczema.
Promotes good skin health
- Evening primrose oil is very useful for smooth skin. It enhances skin's elasticity, moisture, firmness, and fatigue resistance.
- This is because GLA is not produced naturally in the skin, but is ideal for its health. That's why the intake of evening primrose oil is important.
Helps with acne
- Evening primrose oil containing GLA seems to help acne by decreasing skin inflammation
- GLA reduces the number of skin cells causing lesions. Besides, keep the skin moisturized.
- Cheilitis causes inflammation and pain in the lips. Evening primrose oil is useful in the treatment of cheilitis.
- Whether acne lesions are inflammatory or non-inflammatory, GLA present in evening primrose oil is helpful in the reduction of both.
Helps in the treatment of PMS symptoms
Few pieces of research show that evening primrose oil is very useful in the treatment of premenstrual syndrome or PMS.
- It helps with synonyms of PMS like depression, irritability and bloating, etc.
- Sensitivity to prolactin levels present in the body leads to PMS. If vitamin B-6, vitamin E, and evening primrose oil are present in a supplement it helps with synonyms of PMS.
- You can start with a lower dose first and then increase the dose accordingly.
Limits breast pain
- Intake of evening primrose oil can be effective in minimizing breast pain or mastalgia during menstruation.
- Evening primrose oil contains GLA which helps in lowering inflammation.
- Intake of evening primrose oil with vitamin E helps in limiting breast pain.
Helps in reducing hot flashes
One of the most annoying side effects of menopause is hot flashes. Intake of evening primrose oil helps in the treatment of hot flashes.
Taking 500 mg of evening primrose oil supplements twice daily for 6 weeks can ensure results.
Reduces high blood pressure
Evening primrose oil helps in lowering down blood pressure. But it shouldn't be consumed with other medications.
Doctor's prescription is required for this and a standard dosage of evening primrose oil can be taken.
Helps in improving heart health
- Evening primrose oil is anti-inflammatory. It reduces blood cholesterol.
- Heart diseases are a common problem now. According to some studies, evening primrose oil can be effective for heart health.
- According to some studies, evening primrose oil can be very beneficial in decreasing blood fats called triglycerides.
Helps in reducing nerve pain
- Taking evening primrose oil capsules can help in reducing peripheral neuropathy.
- Peripheral neuropathy is caused by diabetes. Its symptoms are hot and cold sensitivity, numbness, tingling, and weakness.
Treats chronic fatigue syndrome
Some reports suggest that a viral infection i.e. Chronic fatigue syndrome-CFS can be treated if evening primrose oil is consumed along with fish oil.
Treats disorders affecting bile flow in the liver
Pieces of research show that evening primrose oil helps in improving itchy skin caused by a disorder affecting bile flow in the liver.
Results can be seen within 1-2 weeks of intake of evening primrose oil.
Improves dry eyes
Those women who wear soft contact lenses may suffer from dry eyes.Intake of evening primrose oil helps in the treatment of dry eyes.
Improves liver damage
Hepatitis B virus causes swelling or inflammation of the liver.Evening primrose oil helps in improving liver damage in those people who suffer from hepatitis B.
- Intake of evening primrose oil along with fish oil and calcium helps in the treatment of osteoporosis.
- This helps in lowering bone loss and increasing bone density in older people.
Helps with bone pain
- Rheumatoid arthritis causes bone pain in the body.
- Taking evening primrose oil helps in reducing this pain without any side effects.
Some other benefits of evening primrose oil
- It helps in improving symptoms of asthma
- It helps with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder or ADHD.
- It may help in multiple sclerosis.
- It may improve symptoms of an inherited skin disorder or ichthyosis.
- It may help in improving pregnancy complications relating to high blood pressure and protein in the urine (pre-eclampsia).
Some advantages of evening primrose oil
- There are no reported harmful effects on breastfeeding.
- Evening primrose oil is widely used as an alternative to harsh chemicals for preparing the cervix for labor.
- The need to medically induce labor can be decreased due to evening primrose oil.
Side effects of evening primrose oil
- Evening primrose oil is considered normally safe if taken for a short term.
- Long term use is not exactly known yet.
- Some of them may be headaches, stomach ache, upset stomach, soft stools, allergic reactions like rash, inflammation, wheezing, etc.
- If you consume medicine for lowering blood pressure or blood thinners, avoid evening primrose oil.