February 18 2021
Fish Oil supplement is the fat or oil that is extracted from fish tissues. Alvizia's Fish Oil contains the omega-3 fatty acids i.e., Eicosapentaenoic acid known as EPA and Docosahexaenoic acid known as DHA while the omega-3 in plant sources is mainly alpha-linolenic acid(ALA). Fish oil is derived from the tissues of oily fish such as tuna, herring, anchovies, and mackerel.
Omega-3 fatty acids are very important for our health. It provides many health benefits that include protection against several diseases. It helps in reducing pain and swelling. Therefore, fish oil is likely effective in treating psoriasis and dry eyes.
There are many benefits of fish oil supplements.
Some are mentioned below.
Benefits of fish oil
It supports heart health
Studies have shown that the people who consume a lot of fish have lower rates of heart disease.
It supports eye health
- Evidence shows that people who don't get enough omega-3s have a high risk of eye diseases.
- Fish oil is known for treating eye diseases efficiently.
- As we grow older, eye health begins to decline which leads to muscular degeneration or AMD. Consumption of fish reduces the risk of AMD.
- A small study has found that consuming a high dose of fish oil for 19 weeks has improved vision in all AMD patients.
It may reduce inflammation
- Fish oil has anti-inflammatory properties that help in treating various disorders.
- Chronic inflammation deals with a serious illness such as depression, obesity, diabetes, and various other diseases. Thus, fish oil treats chronic inflammation.
- Fish oil is significantly used for reducing joint pain, stiffness, and other joint-related issues in a person.
It treats certain mental disorders
- Fish oil can reduce the chances of psychotic disorders.
- Fish oil supplements are also known for reducing the symptoms of both bipolar disorder and schizophrenia.
It supports pregnancy
- Fish oil which contains Omega-3s is responsible for early growth and development.
- Fish oil supplements during pregnancy may improve hand-eye coordination in infants.
- It has also been found that intake of fish oil supplements during pregnancy and breastfeeding can also improve infant visual development.
- It also helps in reducing the risk of allergies.
Helps in improving the symptoms of depression
- It has been found that people having lower amounts of omega-3 fatty acids may suffer from depression.
- Studies have shown that oils rich in EPA helps in reducing symptoms of depression. Thus, fish oil reduces depressive symptoms.
Reduces liver fat
- Fish oils play a major role in reducing liver fat.
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease(NAFLD) is increasing to a great extent, in which fat accumulates in a person's body. Fish oil reduces the symptoms of any NAFLD and the amount of fat in the liver.
- Fish oil is also known for removing liver function, and inflammation.
It may aid weight loss
- Fish oil supplements can improve the composition of the body and various risk factors for heart disease in obese people.
- Obesity can significantly increase the risk of other diseases, including heart disease, type-2 diabetes, and cancer. Fish oil supplements may work effectively in improving this.
- Few studies have shown that fish oil supplements, in combination with diet or exercise can help in reducing weight.
It helps in improving brain health
- As we grow older, bones begin to lose essential minerals and are more likely to break down which leads to a disease called osteoporosis. Omega-3 fatty acids or fish oil helps in strengthening the bones.
- People with a higher intake of fish oil are found to have better bone mineral density.
- Fish oil supplements help in preventing bone breakage and may prevent bone disease.
Improves Asthma symptoms and allergy risk
- Studies have shown that fish oil is highly beneficial for those who suffer from asthma, which can cause swelling in the lungs.
- In recent studies, it has been found that people who intake omega-3 fatty acids or fish oil can reduce the risk of asthma in children by 24-29%.
- It has been found that fish oil supplements in pregnant mothers may also reduce the risk of allergies in infants.
Helps in preventing the symptoms of mental decline
- As we grow older, the functioning of our brain slows down, and eventually the risk of Alzheimer's disease increases.
- Studies have found that the people who eat more fish tend to experience a slower decline in the functioning of the brain in old age.
- Some very small studies have shown that fish oil supplements may improve memory in older and healthy adults.
Forms of fish oil
Fish oil supplements come in various forms including ethyl esters(ee), reformed triglycerides(RTG), free fatty acids, and triglycerides.
As our body doesn't absorb ethyl esters so it is recommended to choose a fish oil supplement that comes in various other forms.
Freshness of Fish oil supplements
Omega-3 fatty acids are found to be prone to oxidation which makes them go rancid.
To avoid this, always choose a supplement that contains an antioxidant. Also, it is recommended to keep the supplements away from light- ideally in the refrigerator.
Alvizia's fish oil supplement doesn't have a rancid smell. So it can do wonders if taken daily.
How to take omega-3 (Fish oil) supplements?
Fish oil supplements are highly effective for our bodies. It is recommended to take your fish oil supplement with a meal that contains fat.
Fish oil capsule is a part of a complete program of treatment that includes a proper diet, exercise, and weight control. Follow all the medications very closely.
Dosage of fish oil supplements
Use fish oil as directed on the label or as prescribed by your doctor. Do not consume it in smaller or larger amounts than recommended.
Fish oil capsules can be swallowed as a whole. Do not open or puncture the capsule.
EPA and DHA dosage recommendations differ depending on age and health.
WHO recommends a daily intake of about 0.2-0.5 grams (200-500 mg) of combined EPA and DHA.
It has been suggested to choose a fish oil supplement that provides at least 0.3 grams (300 mg) of EPA and DHA per serving.
Store Fish oil supplement at room temperature only away from moisture and heat. Do not freeze.