March 02 2021
Fish oil is often considered a good source of omega-3 fatty acids. There are a total of 3 types of omega-3 fatty acids. Out of the three types, only two, namely DHA, also known as Docosahexaenoic acid, and EPA, also known as Eicosapentaenoic acid, are the ones found in the tissues of marine or aquatic animals. ALA, also known as Alpha-linolenic acid, is another omega-3 fatty acid obtained from plants. Oily fishes, like Salmons, sardines, albacore tuna, mackerel, and lake trout are the ones that are highest in omega-3 fatty acid content.
Consumption of fish oil from fish oil supplements is often deemed safer than fish meat. The ocean is often contaminated with high levels of mercury. Often mercury gets accumulated in fish’s bodies due to this ocean contamination. People consuming these fish affected mercury, transfer dangerous toxins inside their people, which further leads to multiple health problems. That’s why these days’ fish oil supplements are taken into consideration.
Health benefits of fish oil supplements
- Improves heart health – Cardiovascular diseases are often considered the leading cause of death all around the globe. Studies showed that lower rates of heart disease were found in people who consumed a good amount of fish. Consumption of fish oil also reduced multiple risk factors for heart disease. Fish oil improves heart health by increasing levels of good HDL cholesterol, lowering triglycerides by about 15-30%, reducing blood pressure in people with elevated levels, preventing plaque formation that causes our arteries to harden, and reducing fatal arrhythmia events.
- Helps in treating mental disorders – 60% of our brain is made up of fat. The main composition of fat is omega-3 fatty acids. That is why omega-3 fatty acids are considered essential for normal brain function. Some studies even suggested that people suffering from mental disorders had low omega-3 levels in their blood. Moreover, several researchers also found out fish oil supplements’ effectiveness in prevent the onset or improving the symptoms of some mental disorders, such as psychotic disorders. Furthermore, the consumption of high doses of fish oil supplements helped in reducing symptoms of schizophrenia as well as bipolar disorder.
- Aids in weight loss – Obesity is a common issue these days. People having a body mass index (BMI) above 30, are generally considered obese. Obesity tends to increase risk related to heart diseases, type 2 diabetes, cancer, and many more diseases.
Consumption of fish oil supplements helped in improving body composition and risk factors for heart disease in people suffering from obesity. Also, several studies reported that consumption of fish oil supplements along with proper diet and exercise helped in the weight loss process.
- Improves eye health – Omega-3s are very essential for our eyes. According to several pieces of evidence, a greater risk of eye disease was found in people not consuming enough omega-3s. Moreover, aging also declines eye health which might lead to age-related macular degeneration (AMD). A study found out that consumption of a high dose of fish oil for 19 weeks, helping in improving vision in patients suffering from AMD.
- Helps reduce inflammation – Several serious illnesses, such as obesity, diabetes, depression, and heart disorders are associated with chronic inflammation. Therefore, reducing inflammation can help treat symptoms associated with these chronic diseases. Fish oil, due to its anti-inflammatory properties, helped in treating conditions associated with chronic inflammation. Fish oil also reduced the production as well as gene expression of inflammatory molecules, known as cytokines in obese and stressed individuals. Furthermore, fish oil supplements were also effective in reducing joint pain, stiffness, and medication needs in people suffering from rheumatoid arthritis.
- Supports healthy skin – Skin is considered the largest organ of our body. Moreover, it also contains a good amount of omega-3 fatty acids. Aging or too much exposure to the sun often leads to declination in our skin health. Therefore, the consumption of fish oil supplements is often recommended for maintaining good skin health as well as treating some skin disorders, such as psoriasis and dermatitis.
- Supports pregnancy as well as early life – Omega-3 fatty acids are considered extremely important as well as essential for early growth and development. Therefore, mothers are highly recommended to consume a sufficient quantity of omega-3s during their pregnancy and breastfeeding periods. Moreover, the intake of fish oil supplements in pregnant and breastfeeding mothers helped in improving infant’s hand-eye co-ordination, visual development, and also reduced the risk of allergies in infants.
- Helps reduce liver fat – Liver is known to process the most amount of fat in our body. The liver can also play a huge role in the weight gain process. Fat accumulation is very much noticeable in a person’s liver if she or he is suffering from non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). Intake of fish oil supplements helped in improving liver function and inflammation, thereby reducing symptoms of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease as well as the amount of fat in the liver.
- Improves symptoms associated with depression – Lower blood levels of omega-3s are often noticed in people suffering from major depression. According to studies, symptoms related to depression were significantly improved on the intake of fish oil and omega-3 supplements. Furthermore, some studies also found that fish oil rich in EPA was more effective in reducing depressive symptoms than oils rich in DHA.
- Improves attention and hyperactivity in children – Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), involving hyperactivity and inattention, is a type of behavioral disorder in children. Consuming a sufficient amount of omega-3s helped in preventing behavioral disorders in early life. Furthermore, fish oil supplements also helped in perceiving hyperactivity, inattention, impulsiveness, and aggression in children suffering from ADHD.
- Helps in improving symptoms related to asthma and allergies – Asthma is highly responsible for characteristics like swelling of lungs and shortness of breath. These days, asthma is becoming a very common disorder in infants. Several studies showed that fish oil was very effective in reducing symptoms related to asthma, especially in the case of infants.
- Improves bone health – Aging, gradually causes our bones to lose essential minerals, thereby resulting in their breakage. This paves the path for conditions like osteoarthritis and osteoporosis. It is often noticed that people who have higher omega-3 blood levels have better bone mineral density, also known as BMD. According to several small studies, fish oil supplements were found to be very effective in reducing markers of bone breakdown, thereby preventing bone diseases.
Example of a good fish oil supplement
Alvizia’s ALENFISH OMEGA 3 FISH OIL (1000 mg)
This product helps in improving eye health, promoting brain health during pregnancy and early life, and fighting inflammation.