September 23 2021
Apart from being rich sources of omega-3 fatty acids, both flaxseed oil and fish oil have many other health benefits. However, people tend to get confused between the two (which one is better?). Well, both fish oil and flaxseed oil are considered good for health, however, fish oil also comprises omega-3s EPA and DHA, Both of which have shown to be effective against heart diseases. On the other hand, flaxseed oil (which is a plant-based source of omega-3 fatty acids) contains an acid called ALA and lacks the EPA and DHA, the fatty acids found in fish oil. All three of these fatty acids are considered good; however, it is still unclear which one is better than the others. Here is the information about flaxseed and fish oil.
COMPARISON OF FLAXSEED AND FISH OIL
Both of these oils are found to contain an impressive amount of omega-3 fatty acids. However, the ‘types’ of omega-3 acids in both these oils are different. A regular fish oil supplement comprises 180 mg EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and 120 mg of DHA (docosahexaenoic acid). On the other hand, flaxseed oil contains ALA (alpha-linolenic acid).
Just 1 tablespoon (15 mL) of flaxseed oil contains around 7.3 grams of ALA which exceeds the daily prescribed needs for the same. However, ALA is not biologically active; it needs to get converted to EPA and DHA. This conversion process is found to be less efficient in human beings. So, fish oil can be linked to much more benefits when compared to flaxseed oil, due to the presence of EPA and DHA. Here is the detailed information about flaxseed and fish oil.
As soon as cultivation started in the ancient ages, flax plants have been one of the cultivated, popular crops. This plant comprises seeds, which are highly nutritious and are called flax seeds. By cold-pressing ripened and dried flax seeds, flaxseed oil can be obtained. This oil is used in treating many health problems and is available in both capsule and oil (liquid) form. Now, let’s have a look at the benefits of linseed/flaxseed oil:
- A healthy heart: high blood pressure, can drastically affect heart health if ignored for a long time. It puts extra strain on the heart, hence, making it work harder. Flaxseed oil has shown some great effects against high blood pressure. Alenflax nutraceutical flaxseed oil also has great benefits which are highly effective when it comes to heart health, due to its high omega-3 content.
- Constipation and diarrhea: A research study was carried out with 50 constipated people who were on hemodialysis. They were given flaxseed oil along with olive oil and mineral oil (either of them), and, at the end of this four-week study, the bowel movements were enhanced and improvements in the stool consistency were also observed. Flaxseed oil may relieve constipation by acting as a laxative. However, more human research studies are needed to conclude this benefit of flaxseed oil.
- Good for skin: flaxseed oil or linseed oil is found to improve smoothness and hydration of skin, in some studies. It can also decrease sensitivity to irritation, roughness, and many other skin problems.
- Anti-inflammatory properties: because of the presence of omega-3 fatty acids, flaxseed oil has been found to reduce inflammation in certain populations. It can also decrease the levels of C-reactive protein, which is used to measure Inflammation in people with obesity.
One of the most popular dietary supplements, fish oil is extracted from fatty fish, such as tuna, mackerel, and so on. This oil is mainly extracted from fish tissue and is known to benefit health in numerous ways. Alvizia’s salmon fish oil as well as omega-3 fish oil is highly rich in omega-3 fatty acids.
Fish oil has proven to be improving the symptoms of depression, bipolar disorders, schizophrenia, and many other mental disorders. Improvement in hyperactivity, aggression, and attentiveness in young children is often linked to consumption of fish oil. It may also aid in weight loss, hence preventing risks of type-2 diabetes, and other health issues linked to obesity. Now, let’s have a look at the various benefits of fish oil:
- Anti-inflammatory effects: fish oil has been associated with decreased inflammatory markers, which may also decrease risks of many illnesses such as heart disease and Crohn’s disease, as; chronic inflammation may lead to these. Many studies have observed and concluded the positive effects of fish oil on rheumatoid arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease, lupus, and other chronic conditions.
- Skin health: the omega-3 fatty acid content of fish oil has proved to be beneficial for the skin. Many research studies have concluded that fish oil, other than smoothing and nourishing the skin, may also be helpful as a supplement in treating several skin problems such as dermatitis, psoriasis, skin issues that arise due to harmful UV exposure.
- Heart health: fish oil as a dietary supplement may reduce high blood pressure in people with hypertension. In addition to this, supplementation of fish oil may also decrease and maintain the levels of triglycerides and enhance the production of HDL (good cholesterol). So, with all these beneficial functions, fish oil may also enhance heart functioning and protect it from diseases.
- Other functions: fish oil has shown to be effective in certain mental disorders such as depression, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, anxiety, etc. it also helps in treating behavioral disorders in children, including ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder). Many research studies have concluded that fish oil may improve hyperactivity, attentiveness, aggression in younger children. So, supplementation of this oil may help in certain mental conditions.