January 30 2021
Before moving on to its weight loss properties this article will discuss the morphological characteristic of this plant.
Garcinia is a medium-sized tree which grows in India and Southeast Asia. This fruit is used for cooking since a very long time especially in Kerala. Many people are unaware that the fruit has been in use for thousands of years. If you bite into it you will find that it has a sore taste and is not a sweet fruit. It is because of its salt taste that it is added to curries, especially fish curries. But the disadvantage here is that the fruit will not stay good for long which is why people started sun drying it in order to preserve it for long and use in cooking all through the year round. The fruit has a very salty taste and when you cut it into half you can find seeds in it which is usually removed. This fresh fruit can be sliced and added to fish curries and actually used in place of tamarind because of its soreness. Curry made with garcinia cambogia are said to be good for health as it has many health benefits.
How is it preserved?
You will learn that as they get sun-dried they start to change color. Then the fruit is smoked and finally turns black in color. This blackened fruit is popularly known as Kudam puli in Malayalam. Kudam means pot and Puli means soar. It is probably named this way because of the round shape the fruit has with soreness.
Health benefits of Garcinia cambogia
It is claimed that garcinia can be used for conditions like diabetes, ulcer, diarrhea, constipation and for weight loss.
- It is due to the weight loss properties in Garcinia cambogia that the fruit is now popular around the globe. The concept is that it blocks your body's ability to make fat and suppress your appetite. The compound hydroxy citric acid or HCA in the fruit may block an enzyme which your body uses to make fat as carbohydrates get diverted into energy production rather than accumulating as body fat
- It is also believed that Garcinia cambogia can increase the levels of neurotransmitter serotonin which is also known as" happy hormone". This may enhance your mood and reduce stress-related eating
- Some other benefits of Garcinia cambogia are it's anti-inflammatory and gastro-protective properties
- It is used traditionally for treating gastric ulcers
- Garcinia cambogia exhibits good antibacterial and worm killing activities
- It has anti-diabetic properties
- Garcinia cambogia can reduce blood sugar levels
- Garcinia cambogia boosts metabolism, suppress appetite, increase serotonin levels will all ultimately help in weight loss
Finally, it also improves immune function of the body mainly due to the high concentration of vitamin C in the fruit.
Now where can one get garcinia cambogia in India?
There are many companies that sell pure Garcinia cambogia extract for weight loss. You can check out Alvizia's green tea extract that consists of garcinia cambogia.