March 19 2021
All the chemical reactions which take place in our body to maintain the living state of cells and organisms is metabolism. These chemical reactions ensure the normal functioning of repairing cells and digesting food. Metabolism needs energy and BMR or basal metabolic rate is the minimum energy we need to carry out those chemical reactions.
Alvizia's garcinia complex is very useful to boost your metabolism. What happens in metabolism is the energy is produced by the reaction of calories present in food and beverages and oxygen in the body. This leads to the smooth functioning of the body.
Ways to Boost your metabolism
Metabolic rate means the number of calories burnt. The higher the metabolic rate, the higher is the calories we burn, and the simpler it is to lose weight. Also, it means higher energy. There are several methods to boost metabolism in the body. Some of them are mentioned below.
Consumption of a high amount of protein
- Eating plenty of protein at every meal has two benefits. It boosts your metabolism which leads to the burning of more calories and helps the person to eat less.
- The process of eating food to boost your metabolism is called the thermic effect of food or TEF. Protein in this case gives maximum results.
- Eating protein can raise the metabolic rate by 15 to 30%. Also, when 30% of protein is present in your diet it makes you eat 441 lesser calories every day.
Having more cold water
- Water is very useful for boosting metabolism. People should prefer water over soft drinks as it helps in losing weight.
- Preferring water over sugar drinks reduces calories in the body as sugar drinks have calories, so not taking them automatically decreases calories.
- It is advisable to drink more water because it boosts metabolism.
- Coldwater results in more benefits as our body needs the energy to heat it till body temperature.
Doing intensive workout
- High-intensity workout burns fat in the body and it increases the metabolic rate, and it continues after the workout too.
- High-intensity interval training includes fast and intensive bursts of activity. This can reduce belly fat by 17%.
Lifting heavy objects
- To boost metabolism you need to burn your calories every day as it will lead to the building of muscles.
- This is because muscles are more active than fat and lifting heavy objects will restrict the lowering of metabolism.
- According to research, people who do resistance training can maintain their metabolism and strength but those who do no exercise lose muscles hence lowering their metabolism.
Standing instead of sitting
- It is proved that if you sit too much it worsens your health. The reason behind this is sitting all day leads to burning lesser calories and gaining weight.
- Healthcare experts have termed sitting now the new smoking.
- If you have a desk job it is recommended to stand up for a short period or you can prefer standing desks.
Drinking green tea
- Having green tea or oolong tea is very beneficial for increasing metabolism.
- These teas can raise metabolism by 4-5% as they convert fat present in the body into free fatty acids.
- These teas don't have calories thus they help in losing weight.
Eating spicy food
- Eating spicy food is very useful for increasing metabolism as it contains capsaicin.
- Effects of having spicy food are not that high but it can burn around 10 extra calories per meal.
Getting sufficient sleep
- Those who sleep very little are more prone to obesity.
- Lack of sleep is connected to low metabolism and high blood sugar levels which can lead to type 2 diabetes.
- Also, less sleep disrupts appetite-regulating hormones.
- Drinking coffee is another way to increase metabolism by 3-11% as it promotes fat burning in the body.
- Also it is advantageous for losing weight.
Preferring coconut oil
- Coconut oil is not like other saturated fats, it contains high medium-chain fats.
- Thus it increases metabolism more than butter.
- Coconut oil can raise metabolism by 12% and can be beneficial for losing weight.
Eating iron, zinc, and selenium foods
- Food that is rich in iron, zinc, selenium leads to the proper functioning of the body.
- These foods are necessary for the accurate functioning of the thyroid gland which in turn controls the metabolism in the body.
- These foods include meat, seafood, legumes, nuts, and seed, which you should include in your diet.
Having apple cider vinegar
- Apple cider vinegar helps in increasing metabolism as it increases the fat burned in the body.
- Apple cider vinegar helps in losing weight as it slows stomach emptying and enhances the feeling of fullness in the stomach.
- If a person wants to have apple cider vinegar they should consume around two tablespoons or 30 ml daily maximum, else it can lead to negative effects on the body.
Factors that affect metabolism
Some factors that are responsible for affecting metabolic rate are:
- Muscle mass- The amount of muscle mass present in our body affects BMR. As muscles need more energy than fat for functioning thus extra muscles in the body mean extra energy our body needs.
- Age- Metabolic rate starts decreasing gradually with age because muscle tissues are lost due to hormonal changes in the body. On the other hand, the metabolic rate is higher in developing children when they are growing.
- Body size- People who have larger bodies have high metabolism because of large organs.
- Gender- Compared to women, men have a high metabolic rate.
- Genetics- Genes also affect metabolism. Some families have low BMR compared to others because of their genetic disorders.
- Physical activity- Physical activity increases muscle mass and this leads to increased metabolism even at rest.
- Hormonal factors- Some hormonal factors or imbalances like hypo or hyperthyroidism affect metabolism.
- Environmental factors- Some environmental factors like increased heat or more cold can affect metabolism as the body works harder and this raises BMR.
- Drugs- Drugs like caffeine or nicotine can increase BMR while antidepressants or steroids lead to gaining weight.
- Diet- What a person eats and what he does not also have an impact on metabolism.