February 18 2021
Ginseng is a species of a plant whose root is the source of ginseng. It is also known as Panax ginseng, Asian ginseng, or Chinese ginseng. It is a perennial plant that is grown in the mountains of East Asia. The unique and beneficial compounds of ginseng are called ginsenosides. Ginseng is termed as the 'King of Herbs' because it benefits so many systems in the body.
It is used as a herb in folk medicine.
Korean ginseng is native to the mountainous regions of the Russian Far East, Northern China, and the Korean Peninsula. The roots of the plant are usually harvested when the plants are five or six years old. It is one of the most commonly cultivated ginseng species.
It is available in the form of capsules.
Alvizia's Triple Ginseng ( Korean, American, and Siberian Ginseng) energy supplement is highly beneficial for overall health. It stimulates the nervous system, increases overall resistance to the adverse effects of stress and many more benefits have been proven.
Some of them are mentioned below.
Benefits of Korean Ginseng
It acts as a potent antioxidant that helps in Reducing Inflammation
- Ginseng has various antioxidants as well as anti-inflammatory properties.
- Some studies have shown that the extract of ginseng and ginsenoside compounds helps in inhibiting inflammation
- It is also found that Korean ginseng can increase antioxidant capacity in cells.
- Some studies have shown that Korean ginseng extract improves the antioxidant activity in skin cells in people with eczema.
- Some researchers concluded that the consumption of Korean Ginseng helps in reducing oxidative stress by increasing antioxidant enzyme activities.
It may boost the Immune System
- Ginseng is known for strengthening the immune system.
- Some studies have shown that the patients who were recovering from surgery for stomach cancer had significant improvements in their immune system after treating them with 5,400 mg of ginseng daily for two years and had a lower recurrence of all these symptoms.
- A study has also suggested that people who take Korean ginseng could have up to 35% higher chance of living disease-free for five years after curative surgery and has up to 38% higher survival rate as compared to the people who do not take it.
- Korean ginseng can also enhance the effects of certain vaccinations.
It may benefit Brain Function
- Korean ginseng is very useful in improving brain functions like memory, behavior, and mood.
- Some studies have shown that the components that are present in ginseng like compound K, ginsenosides, could protect the brain against the damage caused by free radicals.
- One study has also shown that 30 healthy people who consumed 200 mg of Korean ginseng daily for four weeks have shown great improvement in mental health, social functioning, and mood as well.
- Ginseng benefits might decrease with extended use.
- Few studies have also shown positive effects on brain function and behavior in people suffering from Alzheimer's disease.
- It also brings a feeling of calmness among people.
It helps in fighting tiredness and increases energy levels
- Korean ginseng helps to fight fatigue and promotes energy.
- Some animal studies have also shown that there are some components in ginseng, like polysaccharides and oligopeptides, with lower oxidative stress and has high energy production in cells which helps in fighting fatigue.
- A four-week study has shown the effects of giving 1-2 grams of Korean Ginseng to 90 people with chronic fatigue who have experienced less physical and mental fatigue.
- It has also shown reductions in oxidative stress than those consuming the placebo
It helps in lowering blood sugar levels
- Korean Ginseng is beneficial in controlling blood glucose in people with and without diabetes.
- It has also been found that ginseng helps in improving pancreatic cell function and enhances the uptake of blood sugar in tissues.
- It also boosts insulin production.
- It has also been found that fermented red ginseng could be more effective at blood sugar control.
- One study has also shown that 6 grams of Korean red ginseng along with the anti-diabetic medication or diet lowered the blood sugar level in 19 people with type 2 diabetes.
It has potential benefits against Cancer
- Korean ginseng is very helpful in reducing the risk of certain cancers.
- Ginsenosides which are present in it have been shown to help reduce inflammation and provide antioxidant protection.
- A review of several studies also concluded that people who take ginseng have a 16% lower risk of developing cancer.
It helps in improving Erectile Dysfunction
- One research has shown that Korean ginseng can be a useful alternative for the treatment of erectile dysfunction in men.
- It has been found that the compounds present in Korean ginseng protect against oxidative stress in blood vessels and tissues in this penis, thus helping in restoring normal function.
- One study has been found that men treated with ginseng had about 60% improvement in Erectile Dysfunction symptoms.
It helps in treating hormonal imbalance
- Korean ginseng has a great benefit, especially for women, it controls the symptoms of menopause by stimulating estrogen.
- It does wonder in treating hormonal imbalance and another plethora of symptoms that are experienced by women during menopause.
It prevents cardiovascular disease
- One of the major benefits of Korean ginseng is that it helps in preventing the onset of cardiovascular diseases.
- It also helps in reducing the levels of bad cholesterol which is responsible for many problems such as hypertension, arterial blockage, etc.
- It also helps in enhancing HDL( or good cholesterol) in the body.
It is effective in Alzheimer's diseases
- Evidence has shown that Korean ginseng is highly effective in treating Alzheimer's disease.
- Consuming it for about 12 months can improve mental function in people with Alzheimer's disease.
It improves age-related memory loss
Taking Ginseng by mouth for about 4 weeks helps in improving the memory in elderly people with some mental impairment.
It helps in catching the common cold
Evidence have shown that taking Korean ginseng by mouth can decrease the chances of getting cold and flu.
Dosage of Korean Ginseng
It is advisable to take 1-2 tablets daily, preferably with a meal or as prescribed by a healthcare professional.