September 20 2021
Glucosamine and chondroitin are both structural components of cartilage (a tissue that functions as a cushion to the joints), both of which are produced by the human body, naturally, and are also readily available in the market as dietary supplements. Research has shown that these compounds, either individually or in combination with each other, are helpful in cartilage development as well as osteoarthritis, which is a very common type of arthritis, affecting joints.
Glucosamine is a natural substance, found in the cartilages. It is either harvested from shells of the shellfish or made synthetically in laboratories, to make supplements. It is used in many forms, which include N-acetyl glucosamine, glucosamine sulfate, and glucosamine hydrochloride. Out of these, glucosamine sulfate is used orally to treat certain conditions caused due to inflammation or loss of cartilage.
- Rheumatoid arthritis: rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic, inflammatory disease that affects mainly the joints, including hands and feet. The immune system of our body attacks its tissues and joints, in this health condition. In very severe or critical cases, the immune system may also attack the internal organs present in our body. Some research has suggested that when taken orally, glucosamine hydrochloride might benefit the body by reducing pain that is related to rheumatoid arthritis. However, there was not much improvement in the inflammation and the swollen joints, as quoted by the researchers.
- Osteoarthritis: A degenerative disease, osteoarthritis is the most commonly found type of arthritis which affects many people around the globe. In this disease, the cartilage that protects the ends of the bones wears down, over time. It mostly affects the joints in the hands, hips, knees, and spinal cord. The symptoms of osteoarthritis are usually manageable, but the damaged joints cannot be reversed. Research says that oral use of glucosamine sulfate might help slow down the degeneration of the knee joint as well as in relieving pain associated with this condition. However, more research is needed to conclude its benefits in hip, spine, and hand joints.
People who are allergic to shellfish must study the composition of the supplements, as it might cause allergic reactions if derived from shellfish. Also, if someone has glaucoma or asthma, it is highly advised to consult a doctor before taking glucosamine.
Chondroitin is a vital part of cartilage and can also be used as a dietary supplement. Research studies have suggested that chondroitin, as a supplement can avert cartilage damage and may also stimulate the mechanisms (repairing) that occur in the cartilages.
Mechanism of action: chondroitin is present in the human body, naturally and is also an important part of the cartilages. It provides elasticity to the cartilage by helping it in retaining water. Studies have found out that it may also reduce the activity of certain enzymes that are responsible for breaking down collagen in the joints. It also possesses some anti-inflammatory properties and also averts the breakdown of cartilages, by stimulating repair mechanisms.Beneficial in
- Osteoarthritis: research has shown that taking chondroitin sulfate orally may show improvements in pain as well as the functioning of joints in people who are affected by osteoarthritis. It also works in a good way for people who have severe pain. Taking chondroitin sulfate for up to 2 years has shown to decrease the development of osteoarthritis. Some studies have also concluded that supplements that contain both glucosamine and chondroitin can reduce symptoms of osteoarthritis.
- Cataract: research studies have shown that taking chondroitin sulfate in combination with sodium hyaluronate (in the form of injection) in the eye, offers protection to the eye during cataract surgeries. It is also evident that taking an eye solution that specifically consists of chondroitin sulfate and hyaluronate can decrease the pressure on the eyes and enhance the overall functioning of the eyes.
- Other benefits: although there is not sufficient evidence for these benefits, it is advised to talk to a doctor before taking these supplements for such conditions. The other benefits include dry eye, muscle soreness that happens after exercising, joint pain, painful bladder syndrome, itchy skin, high cholesterol, wrinkles on the skin, and aging skin.
Side effects and safety of chondroitin and glucosamine supplements
These supplements are usually available in many pharmacies and food stores and are pretty well-tolerated as well as safe when taken orally. However, the long-term effects of these supplements are not studied in depth; they’re usually safer when used for short periods. The most common side effects, as reported by patients after using glucosamine and chondroitin supplementation are:
- The increased amount of gas in the intestine.
Regarding its safety, people who are diabetic are advised to be cautious while taking the supplementation of chondroitin and glucosamine, as it may lead to increased blood sugar levels. Also, people who take certain drugs called anticoagulants, which are blood-thinning agents, must follow the advice of their doctors before taking these supplements. These supplements may also have a blood-thinning action, which is why it is usually advised to get the blood tested if you’re also taking blood-thinning medications with them. Children and pregnant/ breastfeeding women are also advised to not take this supplement as the safety for these categories are also not well known through research.
About alvizia’s joint complex
Available in a pack of 90 soft gelatin capsules, Alvizia’s joint complex consists of glucosamine and chondroitin. These two components facilitate the treatment of osteoarthritis. It is also given to athletes who have had injuries. It is also used to treat arthritis, osteoarthritis, dry eye syndrome, and keratoconjunctivitis. Taking this supplement is associated with reduced joint damage, which happens as a result of aging. This supplement has been rigorously tested before manufacturing with assured quality for usage. Also, it meets all the FSSAI guidelines with quality ingredients. This supplement should be stored in a cool, dry place and away from moisture and light.