March 19 2021
Glucosamine is found naturally in our bodies. It is a compound that is made of fructose and the amino acid glutamine. In the fluids around our joints as well as in animals, shellfish, and fungi, glucosamine exists naturally. Supplements of glucosamine sulfate come from shellfishes only.
Alvizia's glucosamine complex capsules are very useful for building and repairing cartilage. The most important benefit of glucosamine is improving joint health. According to some studies, glucosamine provides relief in knee osteoarthritis. There are various types of glucosamine - glucosamine sulfate, glucosamine hydrochloride, and N-acetyl glucosamine.
These different types of glucosamine are similar in a way but work differently. Most research is made on glucosamine sulfate. Glucosamine plays a vital role in the development and maintenance of cartilage present in our joints. It is very important for the functioning of the molecules in the human body.
How it works
As mentioned above, glucosamine is found naturally in the body. It is required mainly for the production of chemicals in our body parts like building tendons, ligaments, cartilage, and others. The fluid present in joints and cartilages around them acts as a cushion for joints. In a few cases, these cartilages break down and become weak. All this leads to pain, and stiffness in the area. According to some studies, intake of glucosamine sulfate increases fluid and those cartilages, thus resulting in the reduction of a breakdown of them.
Another important benefit of glucosamine is it is required for the production of cartilage in our body. In this matter, glucosamine sulfate seems to be better than other types of glucosamine.
Other benefits of glucosamine include treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease, asthma, allergies, sports injury, etc.
Benefits of glucosamine
Glucosamine can do wonders for the betterment of health. Some of them are mentioned below.
Helps in the treatment of osteoarthritis
- Glucosamine is very useful in the treatment of osteoarthritis in the knees. It seems to reduce pain and enhances the functioning of people suffering from osteoarthritis.
- Also, intake of glucosamine prevents the breakdown of cartilage in joints and improves their condition.
- Though along with glucosamine people need some medication too.
May help with inflammation
- According to researchers, taking glucosamine helps in the reduction of inflammation. It is beneficial for treating its symptoms.
- It works best in this condition if taken along with chondroitin supplements. Chondroitin is much similar to glucosamine.
Effective in TMJ
- Glucosamine supplements seem to be helpful in the temporomandibular joint or TMJ osteoarthritis.
- Intake of glucosamine relieves pain in TMJ.
Useful for the health of joints
- Glucosamine is found naturally in the body as it supports healthy joints.
- It improves the development of tissues present in joints.
- Glucosamine is required for regulating the creation of articular cartilage plus synovial fluid.
- Articular cartilage is very essential for the body as it covers ends in the bones where they form a joint. The purpose of synovial fluid is free and smooth movement of joints to avoid functions.
- Another important benefit of glucosamine is the protection of joints as it prevents the breakdown of cartilage.
Treats bone disorders
- Besides osteoarthritis, glucosamine capsules treat the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis and osteoporosis.
- Research is required more in this particular aspect but it does seem to be curing bone and joint disorders.
Deals with interstitial cystitis
- Glucosamine is very useful for the treatment of IC or interstitial cystitis.
- A person suffers from interstitial cystitis because of the deficiency of glycosaminoglycan in the body.
Treats inflammatory bowel disease
- Intake of glucosamine capsules helps in the treatment of inflammatory bowel disease or IBD.
- IBD is very similar to interstitial cystitis as it is also related to the deficiency of the compound glycosaminoglycan.
Helps in multiple sclerosis
- Taking glucosamine supplements help treat multiple sclerosis or MS.
- It works best when taken with traditional therapy to treat multiple sclerosis.
Treatment of glaucoma
- Glaucoma can be cured by glucosamine as it has features to support good eye health.
- Glucosamine supplements lowers the inflammation and antioxidant effects in the retina.
- But the dose of glucosamine shouldn't exceed.
Other benefits of glucosamine are
- Weight loss
- Curing jaw pain
- Relief in lower back pain
- Heart diseases
Possible side effects and risks of glucosamine
Generally, glucosamine supplements are considered safe for most people. Some mild effects people can suffer from are nausea, vomiting, heartburn, diarrhea, abdominal pain, constipation, etc. Some very rare side effects include reactions in the skin, headaches, etc.
It is not recommended for pregnant or breastfeeding women as it is not considered safe for them. Those who suffer from asthma should be very careful about using glucosamine. Diabetic patients should stay away from glucosamine as it may increase the blood sugar levels in people with diabetes. If diabetic patients consume glucosamine they should keep a check on their sugar levels.
As glucosamine can lead to increased insulin levels, this might raise cholesterol levels in people, though without diabetes patients can have glucosamine. Because of increasing insulin levels, glucosamine should be avoided during and after surgery.
If the person has a shellfish allergy, to avoid the reaction because of taking glucosamine be careful about it.
Dosage of glucosamine
Glucosamine capsules come in two types, i.e. glucosamine sulfate and glucosamine hydrochloride. Glucosamine supplements are extracted from either natural sources like shellfish shells and fungi or are manufactured artificially.
It is recommended that 1500 mg per day of glucosamine supplements is enough, which can be taken in small and multiple doses in a day. This recommendation is for osteoarthritis when glucosamine capsules are taken via mouth. You should consult with your doctor before taking the supplement.
Another way for osteoarthritis treatment is by applying glucosamine directly on the skin, besides injecting directly into the muscles.
Glucosamine supplements can be found in combination with chondroitin sulfate also, as it increases the efficiency of glucosamine sulfate.
If you are indulged in other medications also like kidney medicine, heart diseases, blood thinners, or heart drugs, consult with your doctor first. Some healthcare experts suggest that glucosamine supplements should be consumed with meals to prevent the upset stomach.