April 03 2021
The tea plant is the common name of Camellia sinensis belonging to the family of Theaceae. The leaves of this plant are used for the production of GREEN TEA. These plants are native to East Asia including varieties like Indian Assam tea, Chinese Tea, Chinese western Yunnan Assam tea, Chinese southern Yunnan Assam tea etc.
Other common names of the Tea plant are Chinese tea, Japanese tea, common tea, Assam tea, Mecha and Gyokura.
This plant is cultivated mainly in the tropical and subtropical areas with at least 127 cm of rainfall. These plants prefer rich and moist locations for growth where full to part sunlight is also available.
It has several health benefits but then the most important product which is made out of these leaves and is the widely used Green tea.
Several different varieties of green tea are available in the market these days which differ on the growing conditions of Tea plants like moisture, soil, climate, sunlight, production processes, time of harvesting and quality of leaves used for the production.
The extracts of green tea contain polyphenols like flavanols, EGCG (epigallocatechin gallate), epicatechin gallate and epicatechins and caffeine. Regular green tea consumption provides 99.9 % water and contains the mentioned phytonutrients which provide some health benefits.
Green Tea is packed with antioxidants which have several health benefits such as :
- Helps to fight cancer: Since green tea contains antioxidants and polyphenols it tends to fight cancer and protect our body from free radicals. Free radicals are generated in our body when our cells try to generate energy to regulate normal body functions. These free radicals if left untreated may result in cell damage, cause cancer and even provide damage to our DNA. Hence antioxidants help to neutralize these radicals and provide protection against them. It also tends to reduce inflammation.
- May improve brain function: Green tea contains caffeine which provides mind alertness (which means that it has CNS stimulating effect). Caffeine blocks the (inhibitory transmitter) adenine in the brain and helps the neurons to shoot properly which tends to improve various aspects like mood, memory, vigilance, reaction time etc. Tea also contains L-theanine which also provides all these benefits.
- Aids in weight loss: Green tea is popularly used these days as a weight loss agent. The reason for this is that it increases the metabolic rate which aids in fast digestion of food due to which our body functions a bit faster. Moreover, caffeine can also mobilize the fat in the body and may be provided with this benefit.
- May protect the brain from ageing: Green tea not only provides short term benefits to our brain but also provides long term benefits like in case of diseases which progress as we age like Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer’s disease. Some studies revealed that catechin compounds in the tea help to protect our brain from neurodegenerative diseases.
- May reduce bad smelly breath: Catechins in the tea may provide good oral health as well since they suppress the growth of bacterial formation in our oral cavity and is the leading cause of development of tooth decay and smelly breath.
- May help to prevent type 2 diabetes: This condition involves higher glucose levels in our blood which occurs when our body becomes less sensitive to the insulin which is generated by the pancreas (insulin helps to regulate the blood glucose levels in our body). Hence, green tea improves insulin sensitivity and hence helps to reduce blood glucose levels which ultimately may prevent the occurrence of type 2 diabetes.
Green Tea provides us with so many health benefits and most of them circle it containing antioxidant agents. Antioxidants help us by not only preventing various diseased states but also may provide us with good skin. Yes, it is true. Our skin gets damaged by pollution, lack of care, lack of consuming proper diet, lack of exercise and even sun rays. We tend to get a lot of skin pigmentation and dark spots because of all these factors. Various antioxidants are used worldwide for not only maintenance of one’s health but also to be able to get beautiful and healthy skin. These antioxidants may include Vitamin C (ascorbic acid), Vitamin E (tocopherols) and green tea which is packed with antioxidants.
Let’s look at some of the benefits of antioxidants (for our skin) :
- Oxidative breakdown due to the generation of free radicals breaks down the collagen of the skin which provides elasticity and youthfulness to the skin. Antioxidants help by removing the radicals and prevent the formation of fine lines and wrinkles on the skin.
- Photodamage from the sun can trigger the production of melanin which leads to the generation of dark spots, hyperpigmentation and uneven skin tone so antioxidants tend to work as tyrosinase (enzyme which stimulates the production of melanin) inhibitor.
- Antioxidants neutralize the free radicals and hence help in the prevention of skin cancer as these radicals can damage our cells and DNA if left untreated.
- Help in skin repair and brighten the skin.
What are some of the best antioxidants for your skin?
These include :
- Vitamin C: It is one of the most studied antioxidants in the market. It not only provides protection with the free radicals but also boosts the collagen production and minimizes dark spots. But Vitamin C can become ineffective if exposed to sunlight so, it should always be stored in a cool and dry place.
- Vitamin A: It is also called retinol. It has a small molecular structure and hence can penetrate well into the skin to stimulate collagen production to rejuvenate the skin.
- Vitamin E: Also known as tocopherol. It is a powerful antioxidant and helps in the maintenance of healthy and beautiful skin. It is widely incorporated in moisturizers, creams and lotions to treat dry skin and also to reduce the appearance of stretch marks.
- Glutathione: It is a powerful antioxidant which tends to protect our vital (internal) organs from free radical damage. Moreover, it has shown anti melanogenic properties which helps in reducing the appearance of fine lines, dark spots and helps in detoxification of the skin.
So, where can you find good products with antioxidants?
Alvizia Healthcare provides just the right product called ALENGOW which is Alvizia’s Alenglow Premium L-Glutathione 500 mg and Vitamin C kit.
This product contains Vitamin C, L-Glutathione, Vitamin E, ALA and Grape seed extract.