May 18 2021
We all want to age gracefully, isn't it? Dreading some wrinkles and sagging is not something rare nowadays. Well, there's more to aging well. What do we mean by saying aging gracefully? It's not about trying to look like a 20-year-old, it's about enjoying life and living it with the best physical and mental health. With the right care, you can get better with age. In this article, we will explore what to do and what not to do to age happily. Follow these tips to age gracefully from the inside out.
Be kind to your skin
Since our skin is the body's largest organ, it deserves some of our care, isn't it? Skin when cared for in the right manner protects our body from elements, regulates body temperature, and provides sensation. To keep it at its best we ought to follow some basic steps:
- Stay hydrated
- Wear sunscreen and protective clothing whenever go out
- Get skin cancer screenings every year
- Go for gentle products in your anti-aging skin care routine
Regular exercise can keep many diseases like heart diseases and cancer at bay. Exercise helps you retain your mobility longer. Also, exercise improves skin and bone health. It keeps our mood elevated and improves our sleep.
The Department of Health and Human Services recommends 2.5-5 hours per week of moderate-intensity exercise or 1.25-2.5 hours per week of vigorous-intensity aerobic exercise. You may go walking, swimming, dancing, cycling or perform other muscle and bone-strengthening exercises. All of them are examples of aerobic exercise.
When it comes to elderly people, they need to add balance training in addition to their aerobic and muscle-strengthening exercise schedule.
Mind your diet
When it comes to aging gracefully, we must focus on our diet. Healthy food is another key to age gracefully. Following are the dietary guidelines for Americans:
- Eat enough fruits and vegetables: be it fresh, frozen, or canned
- Eat lean protein like fishes and beans
- It is recommended to eat at least 3 ounces of whole-grain cereals every day.
- Include three servings of fat-free dairy like milk, yogurt, or cheese
- Do not use solid gates for cooking. Opt for oils. Stay away from processed foods and unhealthy fats as much as you can.
Try minimizing your salt intake to keep your blood pressure down.
Mental health does matter
Being happy and stress-free ensures that you live and age well. There are so many ways by which you can keep your mood elevated. Let's find out some of them:
- Spend time with your near and dear ones: Strong relationships and social network paves way for a good mental and physical health. This not only ensures improved well being but also enhances longevity.
- Accept your age: Aging is inevitable and the sooner we accept it, the better we can live with it. It's better if you have a positive attitude about aging. With a positive attitude, you tend to recover better from a disability. Learn to embrace aging and definitely, it will make a difference. Indulge yourself in the things you enjoy doing. Doing what you love to do will fuel your happiness. Whatever brings you joy, do it, be it spending time in nature or pursuing a new hobby.
Stay physically active
Experts link a sedentary lifestyle to an increased risk of health issues and early death. Make sure you indulge in physical activities to keep yourself at bay from chronic illnesses. Go on walks and hikes, go for vacations, and participate in group exercises.
Lower your stress
Stress can have major effects on your body. It can cause wrinkles, premature aging, and can even result in many health problems. We may be relieved in many ways. Let's find out some ways by which we can relieve our stress.
- Relaxation techniques like meditation, yoga, and exercises
- get adequate and quality sleep
- Talk to your friend
- Go for breathing exercises
Check out the Alenup Health supplement.
The goat weed extract and Maca extract soft gel capsules support mental health.
Quit smoking and consume less alcohol
Smoking and alcohol not only increase the risk of various diseases, but they also cause premature aging.
If you smoke then it may not be that easy to quit. But there are resources available that will surely help you to quit. You may also speak to your doctor about quitting it.
Coming to alcohol consumption, try minimizing it to good health issues. Two drinks per day for men and one drink per day for women is considered to be a safe limit.
Get enough sleep
Sleep plays a significant role in maintaining our physical and mental health. So make sure you get enough quality sleep. Now the question is for how long we should sleep. Well, it mainly depends on your age. For adults above 18, 8 hours of night sleep is usually recommended.
How important sleep is for our health? To answer this question, some of the health benefits provided by sleep have been listed below:
- it reduces stress and depression
- Sleep reduces inflammation
- Sleep lowers the risk of heart diseases
- Sleep improves focus and concentration.
So from now onwards will you ensure that you sleep well?
Drink plenty of water
Drinking enough water ensures that you have improved energy levels and better brain function. Besides, drinking enough water keeps our skin healthier and helps to reduce the signs of aging.
Now you might be thinking about how much water should you drink daily? The amount of water you should drink in a day depends on the following factors:
- your thirst
- how much you urinate
- how much you sweat
- your activity level
- your gender
The bottom line
Aging gracefully is not about keeping wrinkles at bay. It's more than that. Aging gracefully is about being healthy and happy as you age. Do the things that make you happy, surround yourself with your near and dear ones, and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Aging brings various challenges along with it. But it's okay. Don't be worried about them. What's important is that you speak to someone about your concerns.