March 18 2021
An essential amino acid, L-arginine is of great significance when it comes to protein building in the body. It is actively used by the body to rebuild tissues and build muscles. The human body needs this amino acid to function adequately and properly. In some serious diseases and illnesses, severe wounds and tissue waste can be treated by L-arginine, studies have found.
L-arginine also produces nitric oxide in the blood, which in turn widens blood vessels in the bloodstream. This helps in the betterment of blood circulation and may also treat certain related conditions. There is a natural production of L-arginine in the human body; however, it is also widely used as a supplement for bodybuilding. Meat, dairy products, fish, soy, beans, whole grains and eggs are the primary sources of L-arginine. It is found in most of the foods that are rich in proteins. Available in the form of supplements, it can be administered both orally and topically.
It is termed as a natural detoxifier, as it is effective in removing excess toxic substances from the body, quite easily. It is considered a good option for improving the overall health of a person and enhancing the quality of life.
About alvizia’s L-arginine
Alvizia’s L-arginine supplements are available in the form of 500 mg capsules, and are effective in boosting immune functions of the body, and reducing weight and building body (muscle).
This supplement can also be used to enhance the performance in athletics as well as sports, stamina, immune response and blood circulation. Some anti ageing and weight loss properties are also attributed to this l-arginine supplement. These capsules, being vegetarian, are suitable for both vegetarian and non-vegetarian consumers. However, children and people with diseases like cirrhosis, low blood pressure, and some serious illnesses or diseases should not take this supplement without the prescription of a registered doctor.
It should be kept in a cool, dry area with no exposure to heat and moisture, for proper storage. The dosage can be decided as per the direction or recommendation of a certified dietician.
Benefits of L-arginine
- Enhancement of athletic performance: l-arginine supplements may improve physical activity and athletic performance by producing nitric oxide in the body, research suggests. This process in turn improves blood flow and provides oxygen to muscles. A research study found out that l-arginine is actually effective when it was given to 56 soccer male players for many days. Another study that was carried out with 9 men, also showed a significant increase in levels of nitric oxide in the blood and they were able to work out for a much longer time. so, it can be said that athletic performance can be partly enhanced by taking L-arginine supplementation. However, the evidence is still considered limited by scientists and healthcare workers.
- Management of blood pressure: supplementation of l-arginine can also help in lowering and relieving symptoms of hypertension. It can lower both the diastolic and systolic blood pressure, some research suggests. L-arginine is needed for the production of nitric oxide, which relaxes the cells in blood vessels. Hence, the blood pressure is significantly controlled and regulated. A total of 7 studies were reviewed together and it was found out that L-arginine can actually improve diastolic and systolic pressure in people with hypertension when administered either orally or intravenously.
- Regulation of blood sugar levels: L-arginine is quite effective in enhancing metabolism of glucose and improving insulin sensitivity. The production of nitric oxide by this essential amino acid is attributed to this benefit. Nitric oxide has a vital role to play in cellular functions and it regulates how our body is reacting to insulin, which is a hormone responsible for lowering blood sugar levels. Hence, increase in the availability of nitric oxide, can enhance the functions of the cells secreting insulin which in turn helps the human body in using the blood sugar efficiently. Long term treatment with supplementation of L-arginine may prevent diabetes and risks associated with it.
- Management of critical diseases: L-arginine is necessary when your body is compromised because of serious conditions like trauma, or any other diseases. The need for this particular amino acid increases in the human body because of physiologic demands. In such conditions, due to increased demands for arginine and lack of production by the body, external supplementation is needed. It is administered in the body to avoid adverse effects like impaired immunity and blood flow, during critical illness or after surgery. L-arginine is frequently used in clinical settings for various treatments.
- Treating erectile dysfunction: L-arginine has properties that are helpful in improving and treating erectile dysfunction. This is because of the nitric oxide produced by it, which regulates the blood flow and hence, improving erectile dysfunction. It acts as a vasodilator which opens and widens blood vessels, which helps in treating erectile dysfunction. 10 research studies were reviewed together and it was found out that taking 1.5 to 5 grams of L-arginine daily actually improves erectile dysfunction.
- Prevention of preeclampsia: preeclampsia is a dangerous complication in pregnancy, associated with high blood pressure and high amount of proteins in urine, often leading to organ damage. L-arginine can actually prevent signs and risks of this condition, many research studies have found. Again, this benefit is attributed to the production of nitric oxide, which regulates blood circulation and prevents hypertension and other related problems. so, L-arginine is also effective in treating preeclampsia.
Side effects of L-arginine
Generally, it is quite safe to take L-arginine supplementation, both in short term and long term usage. However, in some rare cases, side effects like bloating, abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea and upset stomach can be seen. This might happen when it is taken in large amounts.
People with asthma, cirrhosis, kidney diseases, guanidinoacetate methyltransferase deficiency and low blood pressure problems are usually advised to avoid L-arginine supplementation, because of certain adverse effects that can be caused because of the same. It should be taken only after a dietician or physician’s directions if you have any of these diseases. L-arginine can also interact with certain medicines.