March 03 2021
What is a hangover?
It is a combination of all the unpleasant symptoms or adverse after-effects that begin after the consumption of immoderate amounts of alcohol. In other words, it is defined as a feeling of illness, both physiological and psychological that develops after drinking. Most hangovers cure on themselves and last for a maximum of 24 hours; however, if it lasts more it has been advised to consult a physician. The causes, symptoms, prevention, and cure of which are discussed below in detail.
What are the causes?
Alcohol consumption has a vast range of effects on your system which ultimately results in a hangover on the next day. Being a diuretic, makes you urinate more often thus leads to dehydration. It irritates and makes your stomach upset which makes you feel nauseous and often have diarrhoea. Moreover, it messes up your immune system and impairs it; one of the main reasons behind a hangover. Alcohol also results in vasodilation or widening of your blood vessels which are linked to headaches. Hypoglycemia or low blood sugar as a result of alcohol consumption makes you feel dizzy, weak, and increases irritability; the combined effects of which disrupt your sleep and induces what we call a “hangover” on the next day.
Depending upon your toleration and the amount you drank, you might notice
- Intense thirst and dry mouth
- Body ache and a persistent headache
- Trouble sleeping
- Dizziness or a feeling that your room is spinning
- Irritability and mood disturbances.
- Inability to concentrate and focus
- Depression and anxiety
- Increased heartbeat
Steps to cure your hangover
- Eat a healthy breakfast the next morning: Consuming a healthy and balanced breakfast has been the number one remedy in curing a hangover. Alcohol lowers the blood sugar levels, essential nutrients, and minerals in your body which should be replenished by consuming a healthy and nutritious breakfast. Carbs are essential for bringing the blood sugar levels of your body back to normal; it will boost your energy too. Foods rich in Zinc and B vitamins cure your hangover faster.
Get a lot of sleep: Go back to bed, get that extra sleep your body needs to rejuvenate itself. Symptoms of hangover get a lot worse because of less sleep.
- Take in lots of fluids and rehydrate yourself: Alcohol inhibits the release of a hormone called vasopressin which lowers the volume of urine released by the kidneys thus promoting urination and loss of electrolytes. Consume sufficient amounts of water to rehydrate your system so that symptoms of a hangover like fatigue, headache, thirst, dizziness, all are reduced.
Choose congeners and cut off the entire myth of “hair of the dog that bit you” the day after:
Picking drinks that have low amounts of congeners or “clear looking” drinks like gin, vodka, and rum is said to lower the severity of having a hangover.
As the infamous folklore goes, treating a dog bite is by dressing the wound with the hair of the dog that bit you. But the truth is, it will make the hangover more severe by putting your body through the same harmful cycle without giving it time to heal. Moreover, researchers have proven that consuming alcohol on the day after heavy drinking doesn’t help with the hangover but only makes it even worse.
- Pain Relievers and antacids: If your headache is unbearable, take an NSAID like ibuprofen or aspirin however just be careful with the dosage otherwise it might irritate your stomach and make it worse. Taking antacids is safe, take one along with any pain reliever or if you’re feeling nauseous or heartburn. It is highly recommended to avoid Acetaminophen or Tylenol when you’re having a hangover as it might have harmful effects on your liver. Ask your doctor whichever is safe for you and stick accordingly.
- Cut down caffeine or herbal teas: According to researchers, herbal teas can make your body metabolize the alcohol even more slowly making it last in your system for a long time. Replacing it with ginger tea will not only help with your nausea, but it will also cure your upset stomach too. Coffee is also a diuretic, just like alcohol. Too many cups of coffee will only dehydrate you more and happen to be the opposite of what you want.
However, if you insist on taking a cup of coffee the next morning, balance it with a glass of water which will help you in counteracting the dehydrating effects.
Prevention is better than cure
Too many things to do after a night of heavy drinking isn’t it? Well, not anymore!
For getting the optimal hangover relief, pop a capsule of this Alvizia’s drink buddy before you go out. This will help you in preventing:
- Headache and body ache
- Harmful effects on your liver
- Upset stomach
- Lowered body function
Moreover, it is made from 100% natural formulations. It contains all the necessary vitamins like B Vitamins, Amla, Beet juice, Milk Thistle, and other herbs; all of which have been said to support your immune functions and normal metabolism, thus preventing a painful hangover, naturally! The best part is, since it is made from 100% natural ingredients, it has no side effects.
Now you can forget about your Monday morning blues at the office and enjoy the evenings without any worries.
To read more in detail Click Here.
The final word
Alcohol toleration varies across genetic variation, body type, sex, susceptibility, and a lot of other factors thus it differs from person to person. Find your tolerance level, drink according to moderation, and never drink on an empty stomach. The alcohol gets readily absorbed in your body if you have an empty stomach and it is extremely harmful to your liver. Choose your beverages carefully, alcohol with a low amount of congeners is less likely in causing a hangover as compared to alcoholic drinks with more congeners. Thus, it is not the hangover to be afraid of, but the harmful effects of alcohol like toxicity, cirrhosis, dehydration, etc are the things to be concerned about.