September 20 2021
Saccharomyces boulardii is a commonly used probiotic. It is effective in the treatment of a wide variety of gastrointestinal disorders mainly diarrhea. This probiotic is also considered to be beneficial in combating various bacterial, parasite, and fungal infections. Intake of saccharomyces boulardii helps in strengthening the immune system. Saccharomyces boulardii is a tropical species of yeast. It was first isolated from lychee and mangosteen and it was used for the treatment of cholera. S. boulardii has been used in the traditional system of medicine for the prevention and treatment of diarrheal diseases that occur as a result of bacteria. Studies show that this probiotic may be beneficial in relieving symptoms associated with Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD )and inflammatory bowel syndrome (IBS). Alvizia multivitamins for women contain the probiotic blend of saccharomyces boulardii.
Mechanism of Action of saccharomyces boulardii
- Decreases pro-inflammatory cytokines TNF-α and IL-6.
- Decreases IL-8
- Increases the anti-inflammatory cytokine IL-10
- Can TGF-beta.
- Can increase IFN-γ
- Increases IgA
- can increase CD8 lymphocytes
- Decreases CRP and NF-kappaB
Potential Health Benefits
The probiotics derived from S. boulardii are useful in patients who are ill and vulnerable to complications associated with the following diseases:
Formulas composed of S. boulardii are effective in reducing the duration of diarrhoea in infants. It is also known to allow quicker weight regain than a standard formula. As it is well-tolerated, S. boulardii significantly reduces the frequency and duration of acute diarrhoea in children. It also often reduces the length of hospital stay in acute infectious gastroenteritis in children. S. boulardii also decreases the duration and frequency of diarrhoea. It provides effective relief from abdominal pain in adults. It also shortens the hospital stay in patients with acute infectious diarrhea. S. boulardii is also effective in preventing the development of antibiotic-associated diarrhoea in both children and adults. S. boulardii was also found to prevent traveler’s diarrhea, which often occurs as a result of water change. S. boulardii is considered safe to administer to children who have acute diarrhea.
Inflammatory bowel syndrome (IBS)
- boulardii has reported improving the cytokine profile, histology, and quality of life of patients with diarrhea that occurs as a result of irritable bowel syndrome. Studies show that administration of S. boulardii alone or in combination with mesalazine significantly improves the symptoms that occur due to inflammatory bowel syndrome- diarrhoea (IBS-D). S. boulardii is also beneficial in significantly reducing the occurrence of gastric ulcers . It soothes the ulceration surface of the gastric mucosa when given along with ibuprofen.
Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)
- boulardii can be used effectively in the treatment regimen of patients suffering from ulcerative colitis. When administered in association with doxycycline, it is effective in treating IBD. This combination of medications also prevents the remission of inflammatory bowel disease. Including S. boulardii in the treatment inhibits the infiltration of Th1 cells into the inflamed colon. It is also effective in preventing the production of proinflammatory cytokine in patients with inflammatory bowel disease. It is beneficial in suppressing colitis.
- boulardii is known to reduce inflammation in the intestine thereby providing symptomatic relief.
boulardii when used along with the recommended baseline therapy is highly effective in improving the permeability of the intestine in patients with Crohn’s disease (CD). S. boulardii is useful in reducing the frequency of bowel movements in CD patients.
Inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract
Studies show that consumption of S. boulardii helps reduce the inflammation and dysfunction of the gastrointestinal tract in individuals suffering from intestinal mucositis. S. boulardii also inhibits the spread of colic enteritis. It is useful in protecting the intestinal tissues against inflammation.
Helicobacter pylori Infection
- boulardii has a positive effect on reducing the spread of H. pylori in the gastrointestinal tract. In patients with H. pylori infection, S. boulardii promotes faster healing eradication rates and decreased overall therapy-related side effects such as diarrhoea. S. boulardii intake significantly lowers the incidence of nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain. It is also effective in reducing the incidence of stomatitis, constipation, and diarrhoea in infected children.
- boulardii is known to provide relief from epigastric discomfort along with increasing the treatment tolerability. The use of S. boulardii decreases post-treatment dyspepsia symptoms.
Bacterial, Parasitic, and Fungal Infections
- boulardii is beneficial in reducing infections caused by E. coli in children. S. boulardii also provides relief from giardiasis when used in combination with metronidazole therapy in adult patients. It is effective in decreasing the duration of blood-tinged diarrhoea. It helps in enhancing the rate of clearance of cysts in children. Using S. boulardii is known to increase the survival rate, protect against liver damage and inhibit the production of bacteria in individuals infected with typhoid fever. Supplementing with S. boulardii is found to enhance the immune response in children with acute gastroenteritis.
Oral treatment using heat-killed cells of S. boulardii plays a major role in maintaining intestinal integrity. It prevents the occurrence of intestinal lesions.
In HIV Patients
Treatment with S. boulardii is established to reduce the parameters associated with inflammation in patients with long-term virologic suppression that occurs in the human immunodeficiency virus. (HIV).
Feeding Tolerance in Infants
Prophylactic supplementation of S. boulardii is effective in improving weight gain and feeding tolerance in preterm infants over 30 weeks old.
Oral administration of S. boulardii reduces feeding intolerance and clinical sepsis in very-low-birth-weight (VLBW) infants.
Using daily supplements of S. boulardii lowers the levels of lipoprotein in hypercholesterolemic adults. This is a type of biomarker and potential therapeutic target in the treatment and prevention of coronary artery disease.
Diabetes and Obesity
boulardii is known to be beneficial in reducing body weight by preventing the accumulation of fat mass. It also improves the symptoms associated with hepatic steatosis in obese and types 2 diabetic patients.
boulardii is useful in enhancing the functioning of the liver. It is effective in slowing down the progress of liver fibrosis. S. boulardii consumption is associated with the prevention of liver injury that occurs as a result of infection by Salmonella Enteritidis. S. boulardii provides relief from intestinal injury and the accompanying liver inflammation by supporting the antioxidant state of the tissues.